Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing a Drain Plug.
first off, I know to just screw the plug into the threaded plug hole. LOL

I have a 14 foot open alum. boat. I have a drain plug kit to install a butt hole in it so I can stop bailing water out with a bucket. I am thinking about drilling into the floor of the boat right between the drivers seat and the transom.

is there any reason I cant put a drain in the floor of the boat vs. putting it in the lower end of the transom?
[signature]
A drain plug will only work if the boat isn't in the water. If the boat is in the water the water pressure on the outside of the boat will prevent water from draining from the boat. You will still need to bail water or use some sort of pump to do the job. Putting a drain plug in the bottom of the stern would work the best for at least the following reasons:

1) This is the lowest part of the boat and thus would drain all of the water out of the boat.
2) A plug anywhere else would cause drag in the water.
3) A plug anywhere else could more easily get caught or damaged on rocks, brush and etc. This could cause the plug to leak or even come loose.
[signature]
Kent, Right you are sir about a plug only working OUT of the water. I was referring to mostly bailing the rain/snow water out from when it is stored in times of non-use. after this winter, I had about 10 inches of water in the rear end of the boat and used a bucket to get it out. still have 1/2 inch standing as i cant get that with the bucket. I dont have a leak issue when i am on the water unless some new issue has arisen over the winter months. LOL.

okay, so i will mount it on the transom, thanks for the thoughts. I didnt even think about crashing the plug on something or the drag issue, I am assuming that if mounted to the left or right it could even cause some tracking issues for running the boat straight as well now.

thanks for the thoughts. i appreciate it. i will drill transom. all 3mm of aluminum. LOL.
[signature]
I also have a 14' alum. It has the plug in the back, and I store it with the Tongue a little high in the front. The water all drains out and I put the plug in only when I am going to go fishing. It is always dry. I used to store it with the pulg in and then empity all I could the day of, and then use an old towel to sop up what was left, but it is much easier and it is always bone dry. I was going to put a pulg up front more, but an extra cinder block under the front empties all of the water out and I never have to worry about it now.

Shawn
[signature]
If that is still the old boat I sold a few years ago, I wouldn't be too worried about drag in the water. You won't be pushing it with a big enough motor to worry too much about that. However, I would worry about dragging the plug hanging down over things as you move it around. For that reason, I would stick with the transom. The other thing I would strongly suggest would be to store it upside-down if you are storing it outside. You may get a few more bugs that way (or wasps in the summer) but you won't get the standing water/snow and occasional tumbleweed as it blows through the area. Smile
I still have the old 12' aluminum I kept back then. We haven't used it in a few years and have always kept it stored upside-down to keep rain/snow out. I think we're finally going to break it out this year again.
[signature]
IT IS THE BOAT YOU SOLD ME!! LOL

I have a 9.9 horse I run on it now. It sure has been a great boat for me. I have a trailer now also so flipping it over is not desirable. I am attaching a few pics of the in and outside of the plug as I have it just right of center on the transom when you look at the back. I bought it online for about 5 bucks, and had to get 1.50 worth of screws and nuts at home depot. but it was all worth it to watch the water pour out on its own.
[signature]
Probably not a big deal, but you installed it backwards. The plug is typically removed from the outside.
[signature]
Well at least now if it rains alot and he is on the water and needs to get rid of some water in the boat all he needs to do is bring his motor up to speed and unscrew the drain plug and let the water run out as he is cruising.... He did just what I would have done by putting it in backwards....
[signature]
I did put it in that way on purpose. I wanted the plug to be "safe" when I remove it so I wont lose it. This way if I drop it the floor of the boat will catch it since it is not attached to anything I probably just saved myself at least 5 plugs. LOL

I also did not want the ends of those bolts sticking into the area I have a battery and gas cans on the water too much of a puncture danger for that stuff and my ankles.
[signature]