Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingman Wash, 6/12/10
This is my third time fishing there, after being skunked my first two times lol. I arrived there around 10pm, after having to wait at the walmart on 215 and rainbow for half and hour trying to get some service at the sporting goods desk. My girlfriend and friend needed Colorado river stamps and we also needed anchovies/sardines. After waiting half an hour we learn that the system is down and the night shift worker did not know of any anchovies and sardines, we finally set off for the lake. The weather was really wild when i arrived, The waves were pretty big and the wind was blowing pretty hard. We had led headlamps, but its so dark out there you can only see about ten feet infront of you. We met up with my friends that arrived half an hour before us.
I landed 3 cats on shrimp my first two hours and continued fishing with shrimp until about 2 am without any luck. Getting no bites and no stripers i decided to use the few sardines i had and landed three nice sized stripers and another catfish all within an hour. From 4:30am-7am i had a few bites but was unable to hookem. Fishing also slowed for me because my friends started to steal my sardines when they realized i was catching fish using them and by 4:30am they were all gone lol. In the end i had 7 fish, my coworker had 5 fish, and my buddy had 1. Pretty bad night considering the people we ran into while we arrived left with 30 stripers. The take home lesson? Don't believe your impatient friend that using just shrimp will be okay. I usually bring both and see what they are biting on that day.
[signature]
Forgot to ask, anyone have any luck at the ponds this weekend? I went on saturday night after recovering from fishing all night and got skunked. I only saw one person catch one small cat. They stocked like 850, there should have been more hookups. Are the catfish still in shock or something?
[signature]
got out sunday night to sunset. had one bite in 5 hours. my son said he seen 5 or 6 dead cats floating sat was free fishing day maybe it already got fished out.... lots of baby bass swimming around though.
[signature]
Well persistence paid off for you on the third trip. Are you guys driving to Kingman Wash from Vegas or Henderson?

If so, I know the albertson's in Boulder City usually has anchovy/sardine in the freezer endcap. just ask someone when you walk in rather than wandering around looking.

A lot of the "last chance stop" grocery stores on the way to lake tend to stock them. Some stores aren't always open 24hours anymore because of the economy. The food4less by my house closes at 2am now.

I always try to bring as many different options as possible. I never seem to use all the shrimp so I just keep refreezing it when I get home. If figure the stinkier it gets, the better for cats. Shrimp does seem to work best on cats but I caught my first largemouth on shrimp in the channel between the islands that used to be off Las Vegas Bay back in 1992. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon in the middle of summer. Quite a surprise. So shrimp is a good bait, but surely it is best to have both.

I've only fished Kingman Wash once, from shore. I didn't get any bites on the big rigs so I started catching bluegill instead. Bluegill have saved me from many skunks. I use berkeley gulp earthworms on a tiny gamakatsu single egg hook on ultralight tackle. 4'6" uglystick UL

haven't been out to the ponds for a while, sunset has been giving me the skunk lately. Thanks for the report.

Fish on [fishin]
[signature]
Caught a good size cat at Sunset a couple of days after the stock, but Sunday I was skunked fishing 2 poles for 3.5 hours. Not so much as a nibble. Used hotdogs for bait (caught my nice cat on a hot dog) and corn or powerbait on a bobber rig. Trout have gone AWOL, and the Cats are hiding.

I've never used shrimp as bait before. Are you guys using a whole shrimp? Pieces? do you buy them bagged and frozen or from the seafood counter?

Thanks,
[signature]
You want whole raw shrimp. I freeze them if they've been thawed at the store. I usually buy the smaller sizes because they tend to be cheaper. The larger ones can be cut in half for 2 pieces of bait each. I leave the shells on. I don't usually buy the bags because they're a pound or more. I don't usually need that much. If you just want to try it out without spending a lot, you can ask the seafood counter guy to bag up 5 or 10 of them for you, won't cost much. Lately I've been buying the ready packed ones near the counter. Usually only spend $3 to $4.

I don't usually see head on shrimp but I'd try them if I did. I think you can get those at some of the asian specialty markets. I've only seen head on types sold a s bait a few times.

Sizes

Large 31/35
Medium Large 36/40
Medium 41/50
Small 51/60
[signature]
erawk pretty much summed it all up. never thought of using shrimp for catfish, but we did great on shrimp out at the lake got hit almost every cast.. i probably would have caught something at sunset but forgot the shrimp.
[signature]
Stay on the right hand side, hike out as far as you can.
Chum the area with a bag or two of bait. If you don't get a fish within two hours, then they just aren't there. As far as catfish, mix in some flavor with your bait. Minced garlic or anise will wake up any bait, even squid.

Also fished the NSC tourney again. Started fishing around 8:30am till 11:30pm, lost count after 200 took around 60 home. Yes that's 200 Striper.[/b] (Temple bar)
[signature]
Way to help with overpopulation! Thats a heck of a day. Are your thumbs all torn up? [Wink]

Any pictures man?

I went out bass fishin' with Sil240sxrwd yesterday. Forgot the camera, but had some nice fish on board. Its gettin' hot out there! Get ready for 115 degrees - it's gonna happen soon.

The Whizzle
[signature]
Yup, they were all shad killing, bait stealing harvesting size fish. We had the drop light in the water but the shad were about 3/8" and were not being attacked.

No nite bite at Temple Bar but Boulder Beach is doing well (that's were the bigger fish were) for the tourney winners. Have not seen any boils yet but got some fish on the Lucky Craft Bevey Shad SP & LC Pointer. Soaked the cut bait in Anise and hot hammered every drop. Fish are in 30 to 60 foot depth.
[signature]
[quote iamthesmf]Stay on the right hand side, hike out as far as you can.
Chum the area with a bag or two of bait. If you don't get a fish within two hours, then they just aren't there. As far as catfish, mix in some flavor with your bait. Minced garlic or anise will wake up any bait, even squid.

Also fished the NSC tourney again. Started fishing around 8:30am till 11:30pm, lost count after 200 took around 60 home. Yes that's 200 Striper.[/b] (Temple bar)[/quote]

Any Pictures???!! thats a mess of stripers..
[signature]
We use stretch tape to save our thumbs. Working on getting some pics posted. See the attached from last month of 115 count we let about 40 go. All fish are given to friends, co-workers and neighbors so we don't waste but I am getting tired of eating fish.
[signature]
Dang that is a boat load of fish [Wink] Nice catch and pictures
[signature]
[quote syncityangler]got out sunday night to sunset. had one bite in 5 hours. my son said he seen 5 or 6 dead cats floating sat was free fishing day maybe it already got fished out.... lots of baby bass swimming around though.[/quote]

Was it dead cats or dead trout? I saw a whole bunch of dead trout floating all around the pond and few dead ones on the bottom back on the 8th. Guess they didn't survive the heat wave we had around then.
[signature]
I used to fish Sunset for cats, and I always noticed that when the trout started dying off, the catfish stopped biting. They are all cruising around eating the trout, so they don't want anything to do with your hot dogs and worms.

Try a big piece of cut bait (not trout, guys) like mackerel, milk fish, or something large like that. They might respond. Get your gear in order though - there are big fish out there, and a 15 pounder is a possibility. I've landed fish up to 10 lbs out there, and I have been spooled by bigger ones.

The Whizzle
[signature]
Here are the fish from 6-13-10. Looks a lot like the fish from our May trip. Yes the fish full of cooler was intentional (inside family joke)
[signature]
You sure have the numbers game down. Very nice to see the consistency that you are having. You ready to buy a big boat and be a guide??? [Wink]

The Whizzle
[signature]