Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vernon Reservoir
We decided to hit Vernon today for some slimer action. Got a late start and didn't launch til bout 2:30. Water was calm
with a slight south breeze and water temp of 67 degrees. First fish hooked dragging a crawler in 22 ft of water. Wasn't to big but he thought he was. Fished there for 30 min or so, then moved on. The crawler caught fish all over the lake at several depths, from 12ft thru 24 ft. Managed fish on a gold " Jakes Spin a Lure" also. Most were planter fish, but are still fun to catch. We caught lots of fish,but let most go to grow up some. My wife caught the largest fish of the day. A
14 in brown on a crawler 15 feet off shore. Man was she excited. This was her first catch this year. Tayler- (grandson) did well also from my pontoon. Gotta love it. We probally caught 15 fish today from the toon and tube.
Most were released, but we did keep a few for the BBQ.
Stay safe and pass it on.
Pa
[signature]
Thats fantastic ! Nice day of fishing with your family, caught some fish, beautiful day.[Smile]
Thank you for sharing and great pictures.

Peter
[signature]
Loads of fun there...that #61 looks like a tiger to me.
[signature]
#61 is a brown trout. #62 I think is the one you meant, Joni and I agree it looks like a tiger trout (brook/brown cross).

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Thanks. #62.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work Lee.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I agree on #62...a tiger trout.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you and the Mrs. could get in some enjoys.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Joni,
Sorry it took so long to respond. # 61 is a Brown, and # 62 is a Tiger. I really hope The Tigers can get
established At Vernon. In the evenings right at sunset til dark, fish rise everywhere on the lake. Some of them are Tiger Trout and I hope folks let them go to grow. A floating
flyline with 9ft leader and 7x Tippet attached to a size 18
Blue Dunn, or a 20 Pale Morning Dunn just kills them. You can Wade out just far enough to reach lots of fish on the N/E side by the dam . Killer.[Wink]
Pa
[signature]
Thanks Pat. Fun stuff.[Smile]
[signature]
It was just a miss type.......[cool]
But, at least it made everyone look[Wink]
[signature]
[#0000bf]but we did keep a few for the BBQ.[/#0000bf]
[#000000]How did u BBQ the trouts I did like to ask.[/#000000]
[signature]
I leave the skin on and butter the cavity, add a little salt and pepper, load the cavity with 2 ice cubes and some kind of veggies( brockoli) and wrap the hole thing tightly in tin foil.
Then put it on the grill with indirect heat turning it once. Usually takes around 8 minutes a side. All BBQ's are different, so you may have to adjust some. Mmm good stuff
pa
[signature]
Never tried veggies in there...not fishie tasting?
For me, butter and flour cover, then a slice of BACON (hickory smoked is great) and a little Garlic in the cavity.
Like that ice cube thing...steaming it.
I generally like it crispy though, so I use then basket.
[signature]
LETS EAT[Wink]
[signature]
I'm tellin ya...yum yum.
Did you eat the tiger and if so, how was it?
[signature]
No Joni, I released the tiger to grow some. Tiger trout are very good I think. My son catches them all the time at Duck Fork and smokes them. They are very tasty. That is why I hope they can establish at Vernon. Next time I get some I will share with you for sure.[Wink]
[signature]
FOR SURE! Thanks
[signature]
Ice cubes....WOW! I never thought of adding that. As [#000000]Flygoddness said ""[/#000000]Like that ice cube thing...steaming it."" how did u come to that idea?
I would want to try that but where are the trout around where I live......
I remember one time we went to a cookout they did one on a salmon (but not the ice cube way). She did layer the foil with lettuce then smoother it with mayo then laid the salmon on and season it then did the mayo and lettuce over like doing a sandwich then seal the foil tight. It was great, I'm thinking of doing that again.
[signature]