Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexilar ice ducer question
I know were still about a month away from ice even on Scofield but I just got my first Vexilar and I have a question. I went with the FL-8se and it seems to be all I ever dreamed of but I was wondering about the beam angle of the ice ducer. It came with a 19 degree. I am interested in a 9 degree as well but it is another $80. Is it worth it? I mainly target trout at Strawberry, Rockport & Echo and Perch at Pineview with maybe 1-2 trips to the Gorge for burbot. Will I miss a lot of fish hugging the bottom with the wider angle due to the concept of the "dead zone"? Does it make a huge difference?
[signature]
My FL-8 with a nineteen degree transducer works great for me. I would hold off on spending the money until you try it for a few trips at different depths. Just the fact that you are using electronics while ice fishing will completely change the game for you. I can't wait for first ice bluegills.
[signature]
Not sure if it worth $80 or not but it is a nice feature. When you are fishing a steep slope, being able to narrow that cone down will decrease that dead zone.

It can also occasionally be useful when you are fishing close to another angler. At times, narrowing the beam will allow one to just see their own jig and not be Confused by also seeing the other parties jigs.
[signature]
[Wink][Wink][Wink] Way worth the money if your fishing deep period hands down !!! Have caught a gang load of 20 + lb Lakers and many other way nice fish that I wouldnt have without it !!! After 120' with 19 deg you just dont have the target seperation that you need beyond the 120' mark ..19 deg will do just fine for the places your talkin bout however good luck on graphin a burbot !!! Ive used the vex wile fishin the ling and have graphed 3 in over 2 yrs time pursuin the idea they are so tight to the bottom 99% of the time that you wont see em no way no how .. My 25 cents on the VEX[Smile]
[signature]