Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Mesa Information
Hi Guys,
I have never fished blue mesa and going to try my luck around Nov 11th. I will be targeting whatever seems to be happening but would like to find out more about parts of the lake that are btter fished or left unfished, as well as water temps, conditions, places to launch etc... any and all info is welcomed.

Thanks
Paul
[signature]
Those are broad questions! Any rocky shoreline should be holding rainbows and browns at that time. There really isn't any part of the lake that won't be holding some fish.
[signature]
Any idea on the current water temps?
Best place to Launch?
Are they doing quagga inspections?
A good hotel close to the lake?

Thank you for the reply Don, any information for a guy driving a long way is always helpful. I've heard and read alot about the lake but there is not much out there in the way of good local information.

Thanks Again,
Paul
[signature]
There are currently only two ramps open, due to the mussel inspections, the one at Lake Fork (down by the dam) and the one at Elk Creek Marina (mid-lake). I don't know anything about current water temps, but an educated guess is mid to lower 50s. They may close one of those soon, though.

The closest motels are in Gunnison (20 miles) and they run the gamut in price. I like the Waterwheel Inn on the west end of town.

You are right that there is not much good local info. out there. You might call Gene Taylor's Sporting Goods in Gunnison, not my favorite people, but they might be able to help you more. I'm clear on the other side of the state and haven't been down that way for about 3 weeks.

Don
[signature]
If I do fish it I will make sure to post a report on the current conditions and results for others since the Colorado reports are far and few between.

Thanks again Don for the info.

Paul
[signature]
You're welcome, Paul.

Just in case you haven't found it during your research, here's the National Park website concerning Blue Mesa. It has webcam feeds from Lake Fork and Elk Creek, among other things. [url "http://www.nps.gov/cure/"]http://www.nps.gov/cure/[/url]
[signature]
Pretty nice photo's on the webcams. This will help alot.

Thanks,
Paul
[signature]
I made the drive out yesterday and fished today. Launched out of elk creek and there was only one other boat on my end of the lake all day. Trolled up a dozen rainbows (12"-16") and a dozen browns (16-22") between the launch ramp out to the lake city bridge. I caught most of my fish on a custom painted Rapala F13 and a couple on a custom painted Ac Plug.

The water temp was 48.5 - 47.5. I had a nice breeze early in the day which picked up pretty good in the afternoon. It's a nice lake to fish because you can get out of the wind in many places and still continue trolling for miles.

Going to work the elk creek end of the lake again tomorrow and take pictures/video. It's kind of tough to take pictures of yourself.

Thanks for the information.

Paul
[signature]
I was checking the webcams out today and it looked like one end of the lake is ice free. Anyone been out on the water yet this year?
[signature]