Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackle Spending spree
Hey all !
I am currently going through Bass Pro Shops and Sportsmans Wharehouse's online catalogs and am looking for some advise on what I should get for Utah fishing.

I just recently purchased a Pontoon boat and now I am kind of going threw what I would like to try from my new toon.

I have heard alot of good thing about Yamamoto/Senko worms. I also hear good thing about Gitzit soft baits.

But I am not nearly as experience as I would need to be to (smartly) spend cash on fishing tackle.

I know natural colors such as Brown/Black/Purple work well with worms. But to be honest I am pretty well brainless in what to try!

I hope to target some Bass and Trout Mainly. I love Catfsh but Between not having the skill needed to catch them and not having the luck I caught three all year...

So what I am hoping to hear is What type of lures would you suggest a "tooner" novice purchasing.

I really don't mind cost but would LOVE some suggestions. Thanks a ton
[signature]
I've always had good luck with the SMB using the purple Yamamoto worms along cliff edges in the summertime. For trout bronze colored spinners have always worked pretty well. Then again the old fashioned hook and worm rarely fails. Good luck, I could go broke buying stuff from those stores.
[cool][#0000ff]This is a good time to start planning your tackle collection, but a better time to buy most of it would be after the holidays when there are lots of sales. Also some new stuff coming out in the spring of each year. Right now you should focus on what you need for ice fishing...if you are going to play on the hard deck this winter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You know you are gonna get a bunch of different opinions from different anglers. All of us are the end product of our past fishing experiences...good and bad. And some of us learned how to fish well with certain gear for certain species on certain waters and we are forever "patterned". But I roll my eyes and look heavenward everytime one of our BFT "ex-spurts" holds forth and says that they way they fish is the ONLY way to fish for a specific species on a specific water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The truth is that being able to find the fish and figure out what mode they are in is far more important than the size, type or color of lure you throw at them. Active fish will hit almost anything. Neutral or negative fish will seldom hit even the hottest baits or lures when they got lockjaw. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That being said, you should have an assortment of lures that will do a fair job of imitating natural food items...like insects, crawdads or minnows. However, you should also have lures that have hot colors and/or lots of flash and vibration to help stimulate a "reaction" bite when the fish are being stubborn and not biting on the standard stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ask a dozen Utah anglers what colors are best and you will get at least 6 different opinions...if not all 12. For my money...if I were limited to one color and one lure...it would be white tube jigs...from 1.5" to 3". I have caught more fish, of more species, on more waters, with basic white than with all other colors combined. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that it would be a tossup between chartreuse, black and purple. Chartreuse is almost a year round color in Utah but is especially good in cold or stained water. We get both in Utah. Black is also highly visible in low light conditions. Purple is an overlooked color for almost all species. Underwater, in some light, it gives off a wormlike sheen that fishies like.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For additional visibility and fish attraction, get some lures in two or three color combos. Many light and dark colors are good in combination because they create a high contrast...especially two hot colors like chartreuse with hot orange or red. It is not so much these colors that are so great but the increased visibility in poor light or stained water...or in cold water where fish need to be "motivated" to go after something.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Spinners and high action hardbaits can save the day when the fish are slower too. Flash and vibration help call fish in even if they can't see the lure from a distance. Most predatory fish have sensitive lateral lines that pick up vibrations and help the fish move toward the source. They follow the vibrations until they can see the flash and then whack the lure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is an accepted rule that you should use silver or white lures on bright days...or when the water is fairly clear, with good visibility. The flip side of that is to use copper/brass/gold blades in murkier water or in low light conditions. The wavelength of light from the darker blade is easier to see when visibility is poor. But, I have personally done great on using either color in the opposite conditions. Again, getting the lure in front of the fish at the right depth and speed are more important than color.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whatever you do, don't get bogged down in picking lures of the exact color recommended by someone else. Such recommendations are often influenced by someone having a good day on a certain water while using that color. But, if it was a day when the fish were active and hitting everything it would not have made any difference what color they used. And conditions change on the same waters several times during the year. No color works 100% of the time...anywhere.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have long preached that a good fisherman can catch fish on the WRONG lure...but a lesser skilled angler often has trouble making the RIGHT lure do the job. There is a lot more to fishing than lure selection.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you ever get down this way (SLC) you would be welcome to visit my playroom. I would be happy to show you some of the basic stuff and explain how and when I might decide to use it on any given day. Yeah, I make a lot of my own stuff, but I also have a pretty good supply of "store bought" lures that are a part of my overall arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The best suggestion I can offer is to acquire a good assortment of the basic lures...in the most popular and effective colors. Then fish the heck out of them and form your own opinions. Don't just set out to fill up a couple of tackle boxes...hoping that you will have SOMETHING in there that MIGHT work on your next trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Far better to learn the waters, the species and the right tackle than to just dump your tackle box in the lake and wait for the fish to make a choice. Don't ask me how I know that.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good advice and well written TubeDude, I learn something new almost every time I read one of your posts. I definitely agree with trying different things and forming your own opinion.
I think tubedude nailed it right on the nose ...as for white tubes I often do very well with them as well there are alot of variaty of white tube as well I do best with white with silver flakes in it.. You may do good with all white or white with gold or white with blue flakes really depends on your luck for the day.. Also green for me does well with the silver flakes again.. As for spinners what tube dude said is pretty much right on ha.. For me personaly white, black, bronz, and copper collored lures and spinners do very well in almost all types of water another thing that works well for me are top water buzz baits and tandems white, black or green in color not saying they will do well for you or any one else but they do well for me.. The good olde worm adrift is a pretty good go to.. Just set a budget cause you can spend hundres of thousands of dollers real fast if not carfull..
[signature]
Lots of tackle out there as mentioned earlier everyone has there opinion but back when I had my pontoon I really like having a fish finder on the toon. lots of fish finders out there but I really liked the Fishing Buddie series. Plus the way its designed it can be used through the ice also. just my 2 cents.
[signature]
Tube Dude certainly has great advice and a level head. My only input on this is that fishing can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it. Get high quality, not necessarily top dollar, equipment and then take care of it and it will last you a long time. I'm still using rods and reels from when I was 18, I'm 42 now and I fish them a lot. When I outfit my kids, I get them a good supply of basic lures that work for multiple species and that can be fished on the rods they own. If you're going to go crazy purchasing tons of lures, you have to keep in mind that you simply can't fish every lure effectively on just one rod/reel combo. So unless you're ready to invest in several rod/reel types take it easy for now. If you're on your own, start simple. If you have an experienced teacher to go with you can advance more rapidly with their help.

My simple beginners list:
One ultra light spinning rod/reel 5.5' to 6' long rated for 2-6 lb line

One medium spinning rod/reel 6' to 7' long rated for 4-10 lb line ( Bass Pro has a great line of combos)

Spinners: Sizes 1-3 Colorado, Indiana, and willow leaf blades in silver, gold, black, & holographic designs (I like the Bluefox variety)

Jig heads: 1/32 to 1/4 oz, round head and tube jig

Jig bodies: Twistertail in 2-3" size in white, black, chartreuse; Tubes in 2-3.5" in white, black, green with or without metallic flakes (I like Berkley tubes)

Marabou Jigs: 1/8 to 1/4 oz in a variety of colors

Spoons: Kastmasters, Jakes, Daredevils in silver, gold, red/white, rainbow

Rapala type minnows: sizes 2" to 4.5" in silver, gold, rainbow, perch

Terminal tackle: ball bearing snap swivels, round nose snaps, barrel swivels, #8 to 6 worm hooks (for crawlers), #14 treble hooks (for Powerbait), Gremlin splitshot variety pack, egg sinker variety pack, perhaps some Thill floats, quality line (Trilene, P-line, etc) in 4-10 lb test (for any typical bass or trout in Utah).

Take it for what it's worth. This is a simple list to start with that is easy to learn, easy to fish and they catch plenty of fish. Invaluable for your learning is to find someone who's experienced and willing to go with you for the day. Otherwise invest in some magazines and/or videos (In-Fisherman is excellent) and digest them. Be patient and have fun learning.
[signature]
Thanks for all the advice. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of a mix of things.

I do have to admit that I do most of my fishing on my own. I am the only one in my family that is at all interested in fishing. Hell I can litterally count on one hand all the times anyone in my family has ever gone fishing with me!

Though I'm not complaining. Sounds wierd but growing up on the beach in California (Oceanside) then moving here, I don't know being on a body of water feels like home...

And for someone that's never gone fishing with anyone more experience I personally think that I am doing rather well by myself !

Thanks for all the help it's truely appreciated.

And thanks for the heads up about the time to spend!
[signature]