Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Shelters
Looking to get a shelter for this winter and wanted to see if anyone uses the Frabill Venture and what your thoughts are on this particular one. I am 6'4" and want to make sure there is room enough. I won't need one that holds more than three people at a time, most of the time just me.
[signature]
I haven't heard anything about that one but I know that my Eskimo quick fish will hold 3-4 people easy enough including my 6'8" bro-in-law
[signature]
I agree with JimmiJack. Definitely look into the Quick Fish. They have plenty of headroom[Smile]
[signature]
I have three ice shelters: 1. an eskimo quick flip -sled is the permanent bottom on it and it has a built in bench. Fantastic for 2 people but it is short in height. I am selling it as I can almost never go ice fishing with just me and a buddy anymore. 2. an eskimo quick fish 6 -pops up and sets up in an easy 60 seconds, has plenty of head room and you can fit 4 - 5 guys in it and light for as big as it is, I think 60 pounds. 3. and I just bought a Fish Camp TC (thermal cap) from Clam. It is bigger slightly than the eskimo quick fish 6. The fish camp is roughly 7 feet by 14 feet (the quick fish 6 is roughly 6 1/2 feet by 12 feet). The Fish Camp does have a thermal cap which is supposed to keep it up to 15 degrees warmer inside than any other pop up and is supposed to keep it from condensating from the roof, the center height is 84 inches. I can say that the little eskimo will be very much missed when it sells even though I hardly used it, and the quick fish 6 is an absolutely FANTASTIC shelter, so I really looking forward to trying the Fish Camp. I'll give a report after I have used it.
I am right there with you I am 6'7" and have gone through a few different ice shelters. The one I have right now and by far the best one that I have found is the Frabill Outpost Hub. It is a Hub design and sets up in about 30 seconds to a minute. I can stand up in it. It easily fishes 2 people and we have put three in it before when it's necessary but starts to get a little crowded. Anglers Den has them.
[signature]
[quote 5wtrod]

The Fish Camp does have a thermal cap which is supposed to keep it up to 15 degrees warmer inside than any other pop up...

[/quote]

Every extra degree helps, but quoting from their website it is actually 15%:

"A thermal cap will help retain 15% more heat."
[signature]
Sportsmans Warehouse now sells the Eskimo Quick Fish 4 that was released recently. I have the 3 but this one is a little bigger (obvisously) and more importantly, it is higher/taller than the 3. Don't have the dimensions but thought I'd share what I saw at the store when I had the bug to go buy ice fishing jigs. Another rule of thumb...the way they name their shelters is similar to camping tents. If it says you can fit 4 people in it, it means 2 comfortably. Fishing two people in my Quick Fish 3 is tight. Hope that helps a little.

We need some colder weather to hit Utah!

Uintakoji
[signature]
[quote uintakoji]f it says you can fit 4 people in it, it means 2 comfortably. Fishing two people in my Quick Fish 3 is tight. Hope that helps a little.
[/quote]

+1 on that I own one of the newer Quickfish 3's ( The red model ) QF3 is really tight no way with gear can you really get 3 people comfortably fishing there own hole.
[signature]
Thats good information. Thanks. I am heading to Sportsmans today for the ice fishing demo so I will check them out.
[signature]
I owned a QuickFlip III and *LOVED* it. Its absolutely sturdy in the wind, sets up / takes down quickly, stays warm in side and they are built very well. The only flaw is its heavy, but as we always towed ours with ATV / snowmobile it wasnt a issue.

As my family got bigger, I decided to find something else... In the spring of last year I found Eskimo was selling some new model red "returned" shacks on Ebay. They were scored A through D... D being fairly hammered, A being nearly mint condition with only a trace of dirt / use.

Anywho they were selling the A quality QuickFish 6 for a rediculously low price, so I ordered one. Its freaking HUGE when set up. 13ft x 6ft! Its a tad more tricky to set up in windy days, but if you anchor off to a snowmobile upwind of the tent, it simplys things quite a bit.

Its sooooo nice to fit everyone in the shack. I bought a Big Buddy heater for it along with the bulk propane hose. Set'er up and in a few minutes you are stripped down to T-Shirts while fishing. I'm kicking around adding my Honda 1000 generator and portable DVD player to my gear next time out. Pretty relaxing.

Ice fishing is one of those sports where more gear definitely = more fun. Transportation, Power Ice Auger, Shelter, heater... underwater camera Big Grin

-DallanC
[signature]
[Smile] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff] I own the quick fish 6 . And it has gobb's of room , Both in the hight , width , & length . [cool] I realy enjoy mine for the room , I am 6' tall and just under 300 lb. now . [Wink] And I have had me & 2 freind's , 3 fishfinder's , & a total of 6 hole's , and stiil had lot's of room . [:p][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
I actually fit 4 people in my QF3 quite well. Just reduce your tackle down to what you actually need for ice fishing and you can fit it in a smaller tackle box which really helps. Then pop your holes in the corners and sit back to back
[signature]
wow 4 people huh We did 3 people drilled 3 holes in the middle each one of us in a corner still kinda snug we usually leave most gear in the sled outside of the tent but get 3 guys with just tackle a things were kinda snug especially when someone caught a fish

I prefer 2 people gear & camp stove on one side and fish on the other.
[signature]
Quickfish III, now at CostCo in Murray.
They also had a power auger
[signature]