Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inexpensive Drop-Shot Wts
Tired of paying 40-60 cents @ for drop-shot sinkers, only to have them devoured by the Bottom Monster?

Bought a coil of lead at Sportsman's for under $5. Approx 4' long, one lb in wt, 1/4" diam. That's 64 one qtr ounce pieces, 32 half-ouncers, or some combo inbetween. Bought bag of 100 drop-shot (line-grip) swivels for under $8. No need to buy a mold, melt lead, or breathe toxic fumes. Just snip off desired length, drill 1/8" hole, insert swivel & clamp. That's it. Your wts will avg about 20 cents @.

Nice indoor/winter project. Attached pics should help.
Note: 1/4oz = 3/4". (Even took some different lengths & had 'em weighed at one of those gold shops.)
[signature]
nice work [Wink][Wink]. my kids seem to get eaten up by that bottom snag monster every other cast [Image: sad.gif]
i see this will work out much better on my tackle supply
thanks for the info.
[signature]
Well done. I am impressed.
[signature]
Good tip. Thanks!
[signature]
Great idea! I've always thought about using some of my leftover coil weight for something, now I can use it. Thanks for the idea.
[cool][#0000ff]I have been using the hollow core lead rolls for years...1/8" and 1/4". I used to use it for steelhead fishing...either by slipping it up inside a piece of surgical tubing on my line or by running my line through the center and crimping it on like a split shot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since then I have used it a lot for "drop shot" rigging...both in open water and through the ice. I precut several pieces of different lengths...inserting a piece of wire to keep from crimping the hole closed during the cutting process. And I always carry a small push pin to reopen any that have been squeezed closed on the end.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I put the line through the lead tube and then crimp it closed on the line. Several crimps will lock it on securely. Fewer crimps will allow some sliding. These little tubes do not snag easily, but if they do...and if they are not crimped too tightly...you can grab the line with your hand, pull steadily and firmly, and the lead will slide off. Then all you have to do is crimp on another piece.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No swivels, no drilling. Cost per sinker...pennies.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If you go to sportsman's they sell a pliers that have a punch built in that after you crimp the end about 1/4 " you punch a hole for your swivel to go through. I've been using these for the last several years steelheading.
[signature]