Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter walleye fishing.
I've experimented with a lot of things f[bobConfused]or spring, summer and fall walleye fishing and have found certain things to use to have a successful day of walleye fishing. I can't seem to find anything that works really well for ice fishing. It seems like once I catch 1 I have to move or switch rigs. To me the walleye seem really picky in the winter. People say to use a jigging spoon with a shiner head and others say nightcrawler or leach. I've caught walleye on that stuff just not consistently enough to where I would say it works well. I have tried all the rapala and lindy artificial lures and have caught nothing but a cold. I've kind of just given up and figured its just the fisherman. Does anyone have any little secret tips? I know it has a lot to do with location, depth, weather conditions and time of day. I can read up on what they do and where they go all day long but, I'm just not finding them.
[signature]
ok, here is the secreat,

the time of day dosnt mean a thing when it comes to when walleye bite.

Location is the key, find them first then we can concentrate on catching them.

Walleye hit when ever they are ready to feed, each to his own. You find where they are suspended, you can make your presentations there.

you have been targeting areas where walleye have been traveling to for feeding. It can produce a walleye here and there targeting them that way.

Finding where they stage themselves, you can make offerings to them before they move on to forage. Finding their stageing area is not easy, Rivers is slightly easier than lakes because you need only to target holes and other structures that help block the current. Lakes pose a different problem because they dont stage in holes,

Mostly you have been targeting shelves and contures where they travel.

Fortunatly if you did find thier stageing area in the lakes you will be able to find them again with a little "tec" assistance.

The other thing to remember is they hit on the drop, wich means you want long slow jigs, to fast you pull the lure away from them before they have a chance to hit.

Take advantage of the number of lines you are allowed to use. Depending on which state you live in, you can use live or preserved minnows on a tipup to fill up the other lines.

the state of michigan where I am I can use 3 lines at one time, wich means I can rig up two tipups and work one jigging rod, I have seen guys using two jigging rods at once but I am not that ennergetic. [:p]

Here is another secreat, find a guy who semi regularly brings home eyes and become his best buddy. The more guys fishing, means the more of a chance of bringing home fish, In other words the more guys fishing the same area means the more presentations that are active in an area that can attract more fish to the area. Hence one more reason to not fish alone.
[signature]