Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report
First time posting this year. Guess I ought to get on the ball. I fished Strawberry with my son and 2 friends yesterday. We went over to Soldier Creek a mile or so in off the highway, about halfway between the highway and dam. Fished all day. I caught 17, not sure how many the others caught, probably 10 or more each, so for a total for us all between 40 and 70 fish. Most were rainbows. The few cutts we caught were all in the slot around the 19 and 20 inch length. They took anything we wanted to fish with. They are shallow. Caught most of them in 7-15 feet of water, the majorty about 10 ft. Tried the deeper depths, but they just aren't hanging around there. We put up our tents and would look down the hole and watch them. I was there with my wife the weeked prior and had the same results. My wife hooked a fat cutt that had to be close to 4 or 5 lbs. Never seen a cutt so fat and thick. Mosty they are shaped like torpedo's. Broke her heart to turn it back.
[signature]
Great report glad you got into them. We haven't been to Strawberry in a while, we may have to give it a try.
[signature]
sounds like you had fun trip! Question for ya, Were you fishing in water that shallow or were the fish just that shallow? I ask because i was at echo saturday and we were fishing in 42 ft. but the fish were only ten to twelve feet under the ice! so wondering if it was the same there.
[signature]
good on you and thanks for the report.

fished as well (saturday) . Went to chicken creek and didnt see anything. We moved around alot and setup at shallow.....put the hut up and watched the fish swim by. Finally around noon had one hit...19" cutt back to swim the another and then one unbuttoned at the hole. Had to leave at noonthirtyish. Good time, wished we had moved sooner. Seemed slow......like the reports. Next time I'll take the wheeler to get away from the crowds more.
[signature]
How far is the road at Soldier Creek plowed? Where you using a ATV to get 1.5 miles from the Hwy?
I have been fishing the Ladders area and need to branch out. That area has been slammed so fishing has been slow.
[signature]
hey sewfish, whats that fish in your avatar? it looks like a massive grayling or one overly obese walleye
[signature]
The road is not plowed at all, just packed from all the sleds. No trouble getting in on a wheeler, just don't get off the road or you'll be digging for a while. We rode the wheeler in 2 weeks ago and took the snowmobile last saturday.

We setup in 10 feet at one hole and 24 at another. I was in 15 feet of water. The shallower 10 ft hole produced the best. I moved out to 40 and 50 feet of water but couldn't see anything on the flasher nor did I catch anything. The week before, we setup in 40 feet of water and didn't mark anything until we moved into 24 feet and then we started seeing them at 14 feet. I use a vex flasher and see everything in the column from the bottom to the top.
[signature]