Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bassin' Utah Lake
Ice is off and the bite is on!!! We found some hungry largemouth on Friday and Saturday along with some whities and some bluegill. I wouldn't have thought of going to Utah Lake last weekend because two weeks prior I saw some ice fishermen on the lake while we were going to shoot some trap. My buddy Wade talked me into going after promising me we would catch some fish. We hit the marina in AF and the marina was iced over so we headed to the next marina south and was able to launch. The water was 39 degrees and I was questioning how the heck we were going to catch anything? Wade reassured me that there were areas that held warmer waters and that the bucket heads were going to hit. Sure enough he guided us to a few areas that the water temps were in the mid 50's. Someone on this site the other day was going stir crazy and was asking about some hot springs to fish... well there a few areas in UL where the pockets were way warmer than the main lake. Saturday the main lake warmed to about 42 to 43 degrees in just a day. From what Wade was telling me is that there are many bucket heads in UL but you have to find them. In the two days of fishing Wade pulled out 9 largemouth, an eight pound cat and many whities and bluegill. I pulled my share of whities and bluegill but couldn't land the bucket heads though I had a few on. A few days ago I was reading a post here about the benefits of a fish finder and there was a heated discussion about the topic. Many people here touched on the fact that even though you can find them on a sonar you still have to catch them. Wade could catch 'em. Both days I watched a pro fish as Wade caught 10 fish to my one. After this last weekend I am humbled and now a better fisherman because I fished with Wade. I learned many lessons after asking Wade what I could have done better or different. The pic attached is of Wade's 4lbs bucket head.

Tight Lines.
[signature]
Hell ya thats a nice lmb! Good job
[signature]
Nice post. Even better fish. To catch the largeys consistently from UL is something commendable. I'm lucky to get one a year out of there, but it's always in the exact same hole year after year.
[signature]
Was that the biggest bass??

Nice fish and picture..
[signature]
[quote HATH]I'm lucky to get one a year out of there, but it's always in the exact same hole year after year.[/quote]

Ya ain't married to it, try a different hole! [cool][cool]
[signature]
I'm always moving around, trying to find em, but I just know I can go to the same spot and plunk one out of there. Though I've heard there are a lot over by what used to be Camelot in Springville in all those reeds.
[signature]
That is a nice bass! It's always nice fishing with people who know a lot more than you that you can learn from.
[signature]
[quote bassrods]Was that the biggest bass??

Nice fish and picture..[/quote]

Wade landed a four pounder. I hope I get a chance to fish with you soon Cliff and I will see you tonight in PC.

And yes it is nice to fish with better fishermen. Sometimes we think we know it all but last weekend put a stop to that thought for me. It's the little sh_t that matters and that little stuff is really huge when fishing. Now I just have to execute what I have learned.
[signature]