Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toon Trailer pimpin' Albino style....
Well my winter time project is pretty much finished. In January I purchased a trailer to put my toons on and got it rigged up. I started at looking with some basic requirements:
1. couldn't break the bank
2. had to haul a minimum of two toons
3. Easy winter storage

So when looking around I found three that might work all from Harbor freight. The first was a boat trailer that I qucickly ruled out due to the problem of being able to build on it. The second I had seen last spring at Bountiful Pond. It was the 39" x 48" trailer. Looked good how the guy had rigged it out but still had the problem of toon haning over the back and trying to fit two on there comforatably with all the gear. But it gave me a starting point. The third trailer I ended up with was the 4" x 8" folding trailer. Came in two boxes, easy to get home. It took me three days sitting on a cold cement garage floor in January to put it together. After that I started looking at decking material. checked out diamond plate. Ok but pricey. Then realized the heat factor combined with the sun. Not a good idea. Used a 3/4" sheet of plywood for the deck. Next I had to build up to fit at least two toons and all the accessories (motor, oars, batteries etc...).
I checked out several possibilities of materials:
1. fiber board, decking material- pro: weather proof, works like lumber. Con: heavy and expensive. This would have killed the budget.

2. metal studs. Pros: easy to work with, light, didn't cost much either. Cons: affter checking it out found it to be a little flimsy, not sure how it would hold up to bouncing down the road with a toon mounted to it. May bend. Mamatrout concurrred. Wouldn't quite work with the plan.

3. wood. Pros: cheap. easy to work with. Strong. Cons: it is wood! Can rot over time, heavy.

I went with the wood.

Due to the fact my toons are just over 4' wide by about 4" I needed to gain some clearance over the fender and the wheel bracket that is there for when the trailer gets folded up for storage. I had an old thule rack from the mid 90's that I hadn't used in years. So with the help of some Yakima sideloaders I was able to attach the gutter feet to the side of the trailer and the Thule rack gave me the clearance needed. I was able to score a used Yakima rack with gutter feet as well for $30. I planned on using this to mount to the upper deck of the trailer for the second toon. I picked up a second set of side loaders and mounted that as well. I made it so that the toons can be loaded from the side and not the rear of the trailer. I put tie down rings on the bed for oars and the batteries. Made a small railing on the bed, and attached a plano sotrage box to the trailer Tongue. Put a sheet of plywood to the front of the trailer as a wind break and attached the motors to that. (took the idea from FG's trailer technique)[cool]
To prevent wood rot I stained the wood with some stain I had left over from use on my deck and then sealed it with thompsons water seal. Pics attached of all the work. Now to take it out fishing!!!![Smile]
[signature]
Wow, Very nice! It looks like a winter well spent to me. Hey that looks like my garage. Great job!
[signature]
Looks great! How are your racks attached? Are they screwed in or do you have a lip there for them to grip?
[signature]
Nice looking. I am curious to see how those 2 X 4 risers work with a boat on them over time. Allot of wind resistance. but wood is strong.

Also, the side load is a new approach.
[signature]
looks good. are those tires going to hold up to high way speed?
[signature]
I used artificial raingutters manufactured by Yakima called side loaders. They also make top loaders and wide loaders depending on your need. I used Yakima because they were half the price of the Thule ones.
[signature]
Yeah the tires are dot certified.
[signature]
I have been looking for those Yakima side loaders for my camper shell I didn't know what they were called. I was thinking about using them to load my toon on the top of the camper shell. The only thing I was worried about was it they could handle the wind load of the toon. Ron
[signature]
im not saying they are not DoT certified im saying you might want to think about some bigger ones for highway speeds is all.
[signature]
The side loaders I picked up at a local bike shop. They didn't have them in stock but were able to have them within 24 hours, also rackattack.com carries them. Yakima recommends that they get mounted by a professional so that they are done right. I see them on truck shells and campers and tent trailers all the time. I originally had my thule attached to a jeep cherokee and carried the toon around on there all the time. I use cam straps attached on all four corners to make a good tie down. If you cannot get the yakima ones the Thule ones are called artificial rain gutters.
[signature]
They are the 8" tires and rims. As it comes time to replace them I will get the 12" tires and rims. It was cheaper to actually get the 8" tires over the 12" on the trailer by over $100. I can get the tires and rims for between $25 and $40 each separate depending when Harbor Freight puts them on sale.
[signature]
[quote BFVSFOREVER]Wow, Very nice! It looks like a winter well spent to me. Hey that looks like my garage. Great job![/quote]

If my garage looks like your garage then you have heard this comment from your wife as well "when are you going to clean up that mess?"

Gotta love the wife even though cleaning up the mess is the last thing on your mind.[:p]
[signature]
Why did you choose to mount your top boat so high? I am sorry, I see this as being too much wind resistance, but maybe just me. Plus the 2 X 4 front and rear. I say this because we have to repair a fairly new fence with 4 X 4 post cemented about 18" deep, due to the winds snapping them like a twig.
Mounting the top boat just barely on top the bottom boat can give a little more stability and much less wind resistance over the tow vehicle.
I hope for your sake and the vehicles behind you, that I am wrong.
Plus, Pokymon had his 8' boat strapped to the rack on the roof of his Durango. The freeway wind ripped that boat off, plus ripped the roof rack off the Durango.

Sorry if I sound like a downer. I hope I am wrong.

However, that finish on the trailer is AWESOME! how much to do mine....LOL
[signature]
The reason for the height is due to the motor mount and rack that sits on the bottom toon. I had to have a little space for this. If needed I can lower about 6" or so. Also it doesn't sit much higher than the vehicle that tows it. I plan on driving around town to see how it handles and then go from there. I appreciate the concern and input.

Also if you want to know the stain I used was Cabot by valspar cedar 3002 from lowes.[cool]
[signature]
I was kind of thinking you might need some diagonal bracing, because of the height/leverage on the posts themselves.

You could always put some d-rings on your upper rack and add a safety strap or two. ?????
[signature]
Here is a pic from during the build. It shows my car behind the trailer and the motor mount rack on the lower toon. Hope this helps. As I fine tune things I I can lower the upper mount by cutting down the rack pieces that I deem are in the way and not useful.

[inline "toontrailer - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
I am in the same viewing as cpierce. But, by putting the 2 X 4 front and rear, this cannot be done.
Mounting the raisers to the sides, you can add strapping to strengthen the riser, plus the 2 X 4 it's self is stronger (like standing straight and having some one push you, OR, put one foot back and have some one push you)
Ours is steel, but we still brace it:

[Image: IMG_2959.jpg]

Maybe as Cpierce recommended, be sure to have straps on the front of the top boat just in case, so it can't fly back into on coming traffic.
[signature]
Ok. I see what you are saying. I have the front wind break attached to the short side rail and I can use the same area to put an angle brace in place for the front on each side angling down from the corner to the side rail The front sheet of plywood is 2' x 4'.
[signature]
FG, can you give any info about the Durango rack? Was it one of those that are just on the roof or was it a clamp on model like the one in the picture above?

[quote flygoddess]Why did you choose to mount your top boat so high? I am sorry, I see this as being too much wind resistance, but maybe just me. Plus the 2 X 4 front and rear. I say this because we have to repair a fairly new fence with 4 X 4 post cemented about 18" deep, due to the winds snapping them like a twig.
Mounting the top boat just barely on top the bottom boat can give a little more stability and much less wind resistance over the tow vehicle.
I hope for your sake and the vehicles behind you, that I am wrong.
Plus, Pokymon had his 8' boat strapped to the rack on the roof of his Durango. The freeway wind ripped that boat off, plus ripped the roof rack off the Durango.

Sorry if I sound like a downer. I hope I am wrong.

However, that finish on the trailer is AWESOME! how much to do mine....LOL[/quote]
[signature]
Ron, it was a factory Dodge roof rack. Keep in mind, the boat weighed around 50 lbs is all. Pontoons are wind resistance although they don't appear that way. We had one strapped to the Yakima roof rack on our van pushed to the side of the van because of a strong side wind and that boat was a small 12" diameter toon (but, 11 1/2' long).

Just trying to pass on some of the things we have encountered in the past.
[signature]