Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubed Lindon 3-15-11
[cool][#0000ff]Heads up for anybody headed for Lindon. The bridge over 1-15 (200 S.) is out for road work and there is a long detour back down to the Pleasant Grove Blvd back entrance. Added a few minutes to my arrival time this morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Almost canceled my planned trip when the weather forecast called for wind. Glad I didn't. One time I am glad the weather folks got it wrong...again. It was 42 air temp and almost glass when I launched at 8 AM. Water temp at 46 both inside and outside the harbor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Messed around inside for a while. Nothing on sonar or the end of my line. Hit the points at the channel entrance. A couple of slow moving rock fish. No hits on plastics or cranks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fished all the way from the harbor to the bubbleup. Dragged a minnow on one rod while tossing a range of plastics and cranks...in and out...from 4' to about 6' deep. Nada, zip, zilch. Not a touch on anything. Usually at least get a few whacks from the kitties. Not today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got to the bubbleup area about nineish. Wow! No buoys to help locate the underwater line or the outflow. Fortunately, I know the area pretty well and was able to work out along the line to the area near the end where the water was showing some outflow on the surface. Saw some fish on sonar but they all had their little mouths tightly closed. Couldn't even get a bump...even from a whitie. Some days are good. Other days are like today. They probably turned on after I left.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Gave up on the bubble up and I was out in 9 feet of water. Put up the plastics and tossed out two bait lines...one with minnow and one with perch meat. Started working my way back into shallower water. Pow...zing. First bite. First catfish. A 19" cookie. Skunk repellent.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A few minutes later the line popped free of the catch again and streamed off my reel. When I set the hook on this one the rod tip didn't move. Then some more line left the reel...against the drag. Several fun minutes later I netted a 27" chubby cat that weighed right at 8#. Lovely.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Figured a couple more cats and I would have enough for a load for my smoker. Got another 19" cookie and a 22" midsize to finish the load. Didn't get another bite in the next hour so I motored back to the harbor. Fished inside for another half hour and called it good. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp still just over 46 degrees but the air temp was reaching for 60. Lookin' like spring has sprung.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report and sounds like a nice day out. Makes me wish work had called and said, don't come in today, take the day to go fishing instead.... Wish they did that more often... well at all... but anyway. Nice report and pics as usual. Smile
[signature]
Glad ya had a good day. Any estimate on how long the road construction is going to last.? I bet your new motor mount worked just as slick and clean as it looks.
[signature]
were the kitties partial to the minnows or the perch meat today?
[signature]
[quote pa]Glad ya had a good day. Any estimate on how long the road construction is going to last.? I bet your new motor mount worked just as slick and clean as it looks.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]No way to tell on the construction. Might have to check UDOT or whoever is doing the work. No signs posted. Looks like they are settled in for the long haul though. Torn up roads and equipment in several areas. You not only can't get there from here...you can't get here from here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Second time out with the new compact motor mount. Super solid and tracks like a dream. Couldn't get it up on plane today but I'm workin' on it. Must be somethin' in the fuel system. Not enough burritos.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote pa]were the kitties partial to the minnows or the perch meat today?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Usually do pretty good on perch meat but not a touch today. All 4 fish on minnows...3 on the rig with bling beads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BUT...if I had some of the super top secret whaddayaknow bait (see pic) I might have done even better. That big fat kitty had a gut full of all kinds of food...a white bass, some small bluegills...AND a dozen small froglets. First time I have found any fish from Utah Lake with frogs in them. They must be coming out of hibernation and the cats are taking advantage. I'm betting that bass are probably enjoying them in their dining rooms too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No No No. You failed to realize that fish was really a 56" catfish...and the frogs are actually big ol' bullfrogs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, since the digestive juices of that kitty had been workin on them those froggies din't smell very appetizing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll save the next batch for you if you like.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I can just see it now. A PVC frog lure must be on the way. I can't wait to see the prototype.
[signature]
That's an awesome pic of the kitty guts. Whodathunk? I'll get with ya about the jigs, been busy lately.
[signature]
Interesting about the frogs !!! An old friend used to talk about the frogs that would migrate to the lake in the spring and how the cats and eyes would gorge on them . Like you, this is the first I have seen Kermies in a fish, in fact I have heard em on the lake, but seen very few. That is a good sign that the lake is healthy as frogs and other amphibs don't do well when the water quality is poor !! Nice catch !!!
PS: I had planned on going out on Saturday afternoon, but got sidetracked when I went Deer hunting on 1st East in PG. That doe really liked my Expedetion so much that she couldn't take her eys, ears, head, and body off of it. Got my doe, but it cost me deerly !!! New left front fender, hood, bumper, and allignment to the tune of $2500.00. Those out of season hunting trips are expensive !!!
Awesome Pic!!! That is a good # of frogs. So....do you think that the cat was feeding shallow, like 1' sometime at night or in afternoon? or would he be able to get frogs like that out deep? It would be interesting to catch a cat on one of those bass frogs.
[signature]
Well it sounds like you had a better day then I did. I spent it sitting in a hospital[crazy]
[signature]
Quote:[#0000ff] That big fat kitty had a gut full of all kinds of food...a white bass, some small bluegills...AND a dozen small froglets. First time I have found any fish from Utah Lake with frogs in them. They must be coming out of hibernation and the cats are taking advantage. I'm betting that bass are probably enjoying them in their dining rooms too.[/#0000ff]

When I was at Lindon on Sunday, I could hear some frogs singing amongst the reeds and cattails just north of the harbor.

We had pretty good luck with bullhead cats using shrimp and worms. Too bad the channel cats were no where to be found.[frown]

I am definitely headed back to UL sometime again in the next few weeks to try for some more white bass though.
[signature]
This might sound like a dumb question, and maybe they were too close to pre-poo to tell, buy were you able to tell if they were frogs or toads?
the answer could change the the 'where he gorged' answer.....
[signature]
Hey Tubedude thanks for the fishing report and great pictures. Man that big cat was sure hungry for frog legs wasnt he.

I just might have to break out some of my custom plastic frogs and give them a toss in the lake the next time I get down there and see if the bass or maybe a cat will eat them up.
[signature]
Well I just paid $310.00 for my seal kit for my tilt/trim motor. Should be here on friday and I hope saturday he gets it put together and back on my boat.. I will take you out fishing again soon (if you can stand being in a boat for very long, not surrounded by pvc piping)for the elusive walleye and then I can show you my poles that are broke. No bass at the bubble up??? Was that circle of boats just past that out there again like last year looking for walleyes????
[signature]
I should have warned everyone a while back about 200 S being closed. I live 8 minutes from Lindon Harbor and I was down there when the closure happened. The story is that it will be closed until mid-May. That is UDOT's best estimate. Could be earlier. Could be later.

Sorry for not warning you, Pat. I could have saved you some time. Great report though and I hope to be pulling in some kitties soon. I may see if I can get Fishkillr out. If nothing else fails, maybe we'll throw Ivan out and see if one of those fabled monster cats will try to eat him![:p][:p]

Pa, start looking for some pre-spawn crappie action in the next week or two. I know you are interested in taking home a few. Last year the crappie were extremely aggressive and would hit large tube jigs tipped with NOTHING [cool]
[signature]
TD, what is the purpose of the beads on the line I always see you with? I mean, I have an idea, but wanna hear from you. How do you choose the color?

Also, those look like frogs to me, not toads, but could you tell if they were baby bull frogs, or leopard frogs?

I'm asking cuz I live down here in West Bountiful, close to the Salt Lake marshes, and the leopard frogs have just been chirping and craaaaaaking up a storm; mating season and all. I'm sure that a frog sitting in a couple feet of water, partly submerged and singing for the girls, could be heard, smelled, and felt by a catfish.

Someone should make a nature documentary..
[signature]
[quote TopH2O]I can just see it now. A PVC frog lure must be on the way. I can't wait to see the prototype.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Don't wait with bait on yer breath.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I was going to try to imitate a frogette it would probably be with a small twin tail plastic. But I suspect that odor is probably a big part of the equation too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]