Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am here for tips
I am wanting to learn the art of fly fishing, My first question is would a good beginners kit be like the ones you can buy for about 40 bucks. I am in NM and plan on eventually fishing for trout on rivers and streams, But to begin I have a pound down the street that has some sun pearch that i can practice the art with.
My suggestion would be to get a kit and fish it until you know whats what , if that makes sense. Find a cheap kit, fish with it until you get the knack of it and go from there. As some one starting the best advice I would give you is pick up anything how to by Lefty Kregh. ( spelling may be off) Lot of good info in his writing on proper casting ect.
[signature]
I started with a 20.00 walmart all in one. Some of those kits are decent setups and I think a good way to get an intro into fly fishing.

I agree on the Lefty reference but would also add Joan Wulff has a lot of good stuff out.

Also, look for a fly fishing club in your area.. or a pro shop.. both can give you one on one assistance and in a lot of cases it is free or low cost...

Lastly... look on line.. there are a lot of videos available that will show you the basics of casting etc...

Oh.. just a heads up.. it can be very frustrating at times.. but like anything else just relax.. take your time.. and have fun.. you wont regret it...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
just a thought here, maybe try talking to some fly fishing folks at your waters and you never know! Might make a friend that is willing to let you try out the gear and see if this is something that you realy want to do. win win, make a friend and learn the technique.

Then...if you like it go ahead and shell out a few more bucks to get into a setup that will tide you over for a few years. To me and from numerous recomendations: Line quality is where to drop your money first, then over time you can investigate in better rods and lastly is reels. I casted 80 dollar line on a 40 dollar outfit and did pretty well for some time.

I have started out with a freebie martin and bought a better cortland but was never quite happy as my casting/fishing skills improved. I jumped up to a couple mid priced setups now (orvis and a sage) and so far I think I will be happy with them for some time. My eyes were on some pretty high end equipment (not the best but definetly nice) and found that for my needs, budget, and casting type there are some awesome setups for the 2-3 hundred range plus quality line and so so reels.

Just some experience I have been thru in the fly fishing quest.[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the tips that makes me feel much better about buying a lower end rod and learning the art. I didn't want to go buy something get frustrated because it was not up par. So my next adventure will be to buy a kit and then watch and read some of the suggested info.
Thanks again
[signature]