Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRAWDANDIES
my first attempt at some crawdads i think they will be killer at strawberry and the nelle for smallies
[signature]
NICE!
[signature]
Those look great. I bet they will look just as good swimming in the water, or in the side of some nice fish's mouth!
[signature]
Nice... cant wait to see pictures of the fish you catch with those..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif]Heck they look good enough to eat, well that is if I were a trout.
[signature]
Quote:Heck they look good enough to eat, well that is if I were a trout.

I beg ta differ - you don't have to be a trout to enjoy those tasty little morsels!
You should try those on some Wipers, or phat Cats! Nice shapes!
[center][Image: dumb.gif]And then there are those folks
[center]that don't like salmon.
[signature]
Nice, only suggestion I might make would be to move the brass eyes back to the eye of the hook. I know it's not anatomically correct but the natural defensive position of a crawdad being threatened by a fish is with his tail down and claws way up high waving. This is how all the soft plastic bass baits are designed.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
[quote WET1]Nice, only suggestion I might make would be to move the brass eyes back to the eye of the hook. I know it's not anatomically correct but the natural defensive position of a crawdad being threatened by a fish is with his tail down and claws way up high waving. This is how all the soft plastic bass baits are designed.[/quote]

You know looking at all the Crawfish patterns tied by different tiers, it is about 50/50 on the weight by hook or by eye. Maybe because some use weighted lines. I have used both. But, I don't know if it is more productive but my favorite pattern non the less, has the weight at the eye and foam claws
[Image: Crawfish1.jpg]
[signature]
Good point on the weight. I hadn't thought about it, but that is their defense and escape position.

Dropshot17 are those dumbell eyes or is it chain? I still think they look really good!
[signature]
ya i thought about the eyes being back further but it didnt look right at all in my eyes,[pirate] so thats where they ended up ...... thx for the all the help and tips im going to try em out this weekend somewheres ........ and its chain eyes they are awsome to tie with, i wish i could find some different colors of them here in salt lake ... i thought they turned out really good for my first attempt
[signature]
They are awesome ties, and I am betting they will catch fish.
[signature]
Seems like you could weight the tail area close to the eye of the hook under the body, and still use the chain eyes where you have them.
[signature]
Or a Tungsten Bead, or a few wraps of weight by the eye of the hook. The chain adds very little weight, do it would counteract I am sure. Bow FOAM eyes, the could be cool.
[signature]
"Foam" eyes? Do you have to make them from a foam "matchstick" sized piece or is there a product?
[signature]
You could but I was talking these:

http://www.bearsden.com/product6689.html

http://www.bearsden.com/product6688.html

Like I said, I make mine with foam claws which I glue 20 lb mono in for arms.
[signature]
do we call it a booby crawdanie... ??
[signature]
I am sure you wouldn't be the first....LOL
[signature]
Thanks, those are cool. I am going to have to try the foam claws. They must flop and wave pretty wildly.
[signature]
I googled and found a forum (pa fly fishing) that has some really cool foam claw flies.
[signature]