Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek - 5/30
Played a bunch of softball games in a tournament on Sunday, woke up sore on Monday and figured hey, lets go fishing. [pirate] Had gas in the truck and didn't want to waste the day so off I went in search of trout. A buddy had requested a couple for his smoker so that was the goal of the day. Weather up Provo Canyon looked bad when I got down there... but I figured I'd go see what was what anyway.

[Image: DSCF5210.jpg]
I got to the area on the lake I wanted to fish about 9:30 and there were some cars in the lot, but I didn't see anyone on the water. I got set, launched the tube and heard some little girl ask her dad where I'd put the fish when I caught one. It just made me chuckle. [laugh] Kicked out into the middle of the bay and hooked up pretty much right away on a Tubedude special. Same as last week... lots of aerial acrobatics and hard fighting. Kicked against the wind down the shoreline, picking up another three or four fish by just trolling a maribou jig with little jigging motions on my rod. I lost a couple fish when they'd jump and throw the hook and missed a couple takes on my way back down the shore but caught enough to make it interesting. Kicked into the narrow portion of the bay and ran into two more tubers and a boat to contend with. I hooked up again with a decent fish and plopped it into my "livewell" behind my seat. Fished down into the choke point of Wallsburg and then the wind really came up, whitecapping rollers on the bay so I decided that was enough punishment for me. I kicked against the wind almost all day and had dealt with sleet and rain the last half of the day so I was pretty beat. Picked up one more trout on my way to the takeout and kept it for the smoker as well. It was a good day, ten trout to hand and three or four other bites/lost fish. Picked up fish on a copper colored maribou on the way down to the wakeless bouys, tied on black for the kick back down the shore. Black has been money for me there. Once again, DC treated me well and I don't think I'll ever complain about having a whole bay on Deer Creek to myself, at least on the water. Here's some pics. I didn't drag out my camera for all ten fish because a rainbow is a rainbow.... but I snuck it out a couple times.
[Image: DSCF5211.jpg]

[Image: DSCF5213.jpg]

[Image: DSCF5215.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work. Glad you had some action...but sorry some of that was fighting the wind. I hate wind.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
NICE!!! Give a shout when you feel like hitting it again.[cool]
[signature]
Even though a nasty day it still looked like a great day for you. I am with TD, I hate the wind. [laugh] Looks like you had fun too!
[signature]
Good job with the nice looking trout! There's usually alternatives which allow you to fish in high wind/waves. Once I plan a trip, I won't cancel unless theres electrical storms. In open water, I look for protection that gets you out of the blast for propulsion purposes. Sometimes a shore treeline or cove will work as you indicated.

Winds have been running 30+ mph in my area, so I've been taking the easy way out and working the high bank sections the river where theres essentially no effect of wind. With the huge trees on the bank, I do worry about getting hit by a dead limb that has been blown loose, though!

Pon
[signature]
Thats the bad part.... the wind was blowing almost directly north/south up a north/south bay so there wasn't really anywhere to escape it. [:/] Its ok though... the FC4 performed like a champ and motored right through the waves on people power. [cool]

I'm not a huge fan of the wind.... but its the nature of the beast when fishing Deer Creek unfortunately. Based on a friends reports, the next spot I'd like to hit, here in a couple weeks will probably be Currant Creek.
[signature]