Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
35hp Merc Performance
I have a new boat. 16.5 Foot Alumacraft Classic Deluxe 1985 with a 1985 Mercury 35hp Outboard. To me it seems the boat is missing out on some top end. The motor seems to run smooth but it maxes out at about 13mph according to my GPS. This is with two people and not a lot of gear. Just curious if this sounds about right to you guys or should I be expecting more.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the active boards, it already helped put us into the fish on willard on Friday.

Ken
[signature]
I'd say that sounds about right, most 80 to 90 horse don't go much over 30 to 35 mph, I had a 60 horse that went 22 to 27mph. Depending on your prop you might get a little more speed but it would likely be no more than 2 to 3mph but that is just my opinion, I sure others will have another point of view.
[signature]
F.Y.I. As with all boats the biggest thing to look at is, How many RPMs am I getting at Wide Open Throttle (W.O.T) with an average load and trimmed up. Your motor should be getting between 5000 and 5500 rpms at wot if you are not running in this range at wot then your overall performance will be affected.
[signature]
Thanks for the Reply. I won't stress about it now. Might Clean out the fuel filter and double check the throttle linkage.
[signature]
I believe I still have an external tach around somewhere. I will see if I can check the RPm's

Thanks for the comment

Ken
[signature]
I wanted to thank ya for getting my boat back on the water this year . I am the one with the16' Crestliner with the 45HP Mariner 2 stroke . It has been running great too . I should of had you hook me up with a RPM gauge while I had it in the shop . 45HP Mariner gets up to 27mph on Willard but I have no idea how many RPM's it is pushing either [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the nice remarks. Glad we were able to help you out! Call and we can install that tach.
[signature]