Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wierd Catfish Species Caught
I caught this in the river that feeds lake mead from lake las vegas - He was in a shallow pool with a partner, protecting a condensed black cloud of fry. I watched him for a few minutes and noticed him aggressively chasing off some little bait fish. So I got out a mini green bucktail jig and rubbed it in some soft plastics of mine that are garlic scented - I dropped it right down into the fry and he attacked it! I pulled him in, and for the first time at lake mead I had no clue what the hell was on my hook! It looks like a flat head to me, but its pretty small and I think its full-size. No fork in the tail, small spines in the pectoral fins, didn't bite, tiny eyes, long barbels, dark and light spots, big mouth...I have no idea, might be another aquarium fish

[inline Photo-0352.jpg]

[inline Photo-0350.jpg]

[inline Photo-0355.jpg]

[inline Photo-0356.jpg]

[inline Photo-0357.jpg]
[signature]
WOW! Looks like it mated with a Bass!
[signature]
that was one of the first things that I thought when I pulled him out, so many things resembled bass features - but I don't think it could mate if that was the case?? Wouldn't it be sterile if it was possible?
[signature]
Looks like a black bullhead catfish
[signature]
[quote BillyH]Looks like a black bullhead catfish[/quote]
[signature]

i second that, or a yellow/mud cat, i seen some black bull heads out at the wetlands park by sam boyd that were hanging around a cloud of babies swimming just out of sight but if the fry got too far away one of them chased them back into shore. interesting sight to see. never knew they did that.[cool]
at first glance i thought flathead too.
[signature]
looks like a bullhead to me... i know there are some in desert shores lakes(i mean ponds)..... didn't know mead had any bulls in them
[signature]
[signature]
that was what i thought before i had caught it, but do you see the color in the first pic? I wish I would have gotten a better side pic - I've caught a lot of bullheads, thats usually what'll rob your bait when catfishing in northern utah lol I've just never seen a cat like this
[signature]
I think it's an optical illusion. Looks like a bass, cuz he's holding it like a basser-does. Those suckers piss me off the way they clamp down, and won't give me back my bait/hook! Guess that's one way to take care of it!

Too many whiskers for a bass, for sure. Many fish can/do change color to match their mood, surroundings.

Nice pix.
but we are talking about lake mead there could be ANY number different kinds of fish swimming around out there. i would bet there are some 3 eyed, 2 tailed asexual fish out there that reproduce on their own due to moderate levels of radiation, from nuclear testing and estrogen pills flushed down the toilets back in the day, ya never know.... [cool]
[signature]