Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobble Creek
I drove up the canyon and fished Hobble Creek for a couple of hours before sundown on Saturday 6/25. The flows have come way down and although the water is a bit higher than normal, it's clear and very fishable. When I arrived there was a pretty good mayfly hatch going on. I tied on a PMD with a bh pt dropped 18 inches below. I got no action on my dry fly, but the pheasant tail was getting hammered. It was getting dark in the shadows of the canyon and I was having trouble keeping track of my pmd and was missing fish because of it. I decided to bag the dry and just use the pheasant tail. I had no strike indicators (first trip of the year) so I had to tie on the brightest, highest floater I had--a big foam hopper--for my strike indicator.

After the mayflies stopped hatching, the pheasant tail hardly got touched. But at this point the hopper started getting hammered. This surprised me. I tied it on thinking no way was it going to get hit this early in the year, I just needed to keep track of where my line was. They were pretty hungry little fish. Caught about a dozen and a half fish. Most were 10-12 inches with the big fish of the evening going 14 inches. As if you've never seen a little brown before, here are a couple of pics.

Sorry for the terrible pics. Camera phone[:/]
[signature]