Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Steve's Dardevle Questions
Hello everyone Beginner Steve here, its been a bit since I last posted and I must admit the fishing has been a bit on the tough side lately, but after a bit of downtime I'm back and ready to give it another go.

Lately after conversing with some anglers at a local reservoir I've come to learn that trolling Dardevle spoons is a popular tactic for catching the trout, but I have to admit I'm at a bit of a loss on what a correct rigging method for this spoon would be. From what I've read I don't want to go with a 3 way swivel setup because the Dardevle is a heavier spoon and for some reason this is not a good thing to do with that setup. However, if I want to troll a lure 30 or 40 feet down but I don't want to use downriggers, how exactly would I accomplish this?

Also, when you're trolling lures down at deeper depths, what methodologies do people use to figure out how deep they are running their lure? I figure this would be useful info to know!

Thanks in advance,
Beginner Steve
[signature]
Pick your self up a Dipsy Diver for what depth you need to get to. Attach a swival with3-4ft of leader and attach your daredevel. There are other types out there if you do your reseach.
[signature]
What Greg is refering to is a type of planer board, designed for use in fresh water. Using a planer board is not an exact science, and different variables effect how deep your lure actually goes. Those variables include the pound test and type of line you use (water drag), how much line you let out (the more line you let out, the deeper it will go), how fast the boat it going, and of course the size of the planer you are using. (the bigger the planer, the deeper it will drag the lure.

I know to achieve 40' depth with a standard planer, you're talking a #3 planer on average, and it puts tremendous strain on your gear when used inline. Something on the market you should look up is what's called "the poor mans downrigger." It's a planer board system that allows you to use larger planer boards to achieve maximum depth, but it ties off to a cleat on the transom. Your fighting rod attaches to the planer rig with rubber bands. It's actually pretty nifty. I have a couple, but never use them. We use downriggers. They are handy if you are forced to rent a boat or something, or go on a buddy's boat and he doesn't have a downrigger.

The reality is, because there are so many variables, it's going to be very difficult to achieve that perfect depth with out the use of a down rigger. That's just how it is. I do know bass pro has a clamp on down rigger that is actually very reasonably priced, and would be perfect for trolling for lake trout and things of that nature. I pasted a link below:

[url "http://www.basspro.com/Cannon®-MiniTroll™-Downrigger/product/268/-281490"]http://www.basspro.com/Cannon®-MiniTroll™-Downrigger/product/268/-281490[/url]

Rigging a spoon is easy. I use a high quality ball bearing swivel, as spoons tend to spin and make a mess of the main line. The ball bearing swivel will allow the spoon freedom of movement, while keep the line twist down to a minimum. From the swivel, run a long stretch of fluorocarbon leader. I like a piece 10' or so, if i'm fishing clear water for species with particularly good eyesight. Then, tie the spoon directly to the leader. You're done. Match the leader pound test with your main line pound test. You could even go a little lighter if you wanted, especially if the fish are not feeding aggressively. Anytime the fish seem to not feed as aggressively, down size your gear, including the lure. Not so much the main line, because they'll never see that, but if you're using 30 lb fluoro and a 4" spoon, and not getting anything, drop to 15 or 20 lb fluoro and a 3" spoon. That's just an example, mind you, I don't know anything about specifically targeting lake trout. But, trolling spoons, I know a lot about. [cool]
[signature]
its hard to beat a down rigger for that depth, but it can be done, and I do it, the draw back to my method is I have to troll as much slower speeds. and wind drifts can cause me to move faster than I want to go causing me to have to use a wind sock.

the problem with trolling with out a down rigger is that you get water resistance wich causes a bow in the line, and often it can cause fowl sets. so speed is crittical when trolling at that depth with out a rigger.

I use a heavier sinker, along with a cow bell "dipsy diver" 4-5 foot lead off of that.

Dare Devil spoons are made in only one factory in the whole world, Dearborn Michigan.

it is still a family owned company.

there are all size spoons that are used on every thing from gills up to pike and salmon in the great lake state of michigan.
Appreciate the responses folks, sounds like its a tough business trying to do it without downriggers. I'll have to experiment with a couple of these suggestions and see what I can hook into!
[signature]
you dont have to buy a down rigger,

you can pick up a 1-5 pound cannon ball fiarly cheep just about any where. and get a peice of steel cable to hook it to and drop it over the back of the boat.

when drifting for eyes you are going to drift down river so you realy dont need a down rigger to get down to them, depending on the wind half ounce to an ounce sinker works fine. that will get you down.

you just want to make sure when you are drifting down river that you line is drifting up river from the boat. "behind the drift"