Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling for Stripers
Hi everyone,

I joined the forum a few months ago and have been reading the daily posts since. I finally purchased a 14' Aluminum boat with an 18hp motor. This is the first time I have really every fished from a boat (grew up fishing from a float tube) and I have a few questions I hope the experienced boaters/anglers can help me with.

First, good places to launch my boat at lake mead and not get swamped by the bigger boats ( I have 4 wheel drive and dont mind using it). Next, what technique/knot
should I use to keep my line from getting all coiled up while trolling? I took it to Panguitch lake last week (fishing is great!) and got my line all tangeled up from the lures I was using. Finally, any other suggestions for first time boat fisherman for Mead? I could also use some tips on Mohave as I would love to take my two girls down
there as well!
THANKS! And have a safe 4th of July!!!!
[signature]
Where is your line tangling? At the lure? How old is the line?

I would not reccomend launching in the dirt unless you can carry your boat. If you feel you can deal with it, maybe government wash would be a spot to try launching. Others launch there small boats and PWC there.

Also, launching early will help with crowds. If we want to fish mead on the weekend in the summer; we have to deal with the crowds. If you want to make the drive over to Temple Bar, you might get less traffic. Lake Mohave is awesome, striper fishing is not that great, but the lg and sm bass fishing is pretty good.
[signature]
You might be trolling too fast, also. Check how your lure runs beside the boat at your trolling speed before you set your line out. If you are going too fast, your lure can spin, and your line will twist up.

If that isn't the problem, tie a quality barrel swivel to the end of your line. Tie a 5' fluorocarbon leader to it, and tie on your lure. That will eliminate any twist problems.
[signature]
all i do is troll.

i am usually trolling between 2.5-3.4mph. But the honest to god secret is just find the bait balls on your fish finder you will find the stripers.

if you are not getting any hits, keep changing your baits. I usually run something that dives and something that floats.

i don't agree with the text book definition of where stripers are during the times of year/day. i have never failed by just finding the bait/BIRDS, the stripers will be there.
[signature]