Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good cheap fish finder?
I am sure that this is in the wrong place but not sure where to post it.

I am looking for a relatively cheap fish finder. I know you get what you pay for but I just need something to tell me how deep and if there are fish down there or not.
[signature]
I like quality stuff, so if I can't afford new, I buy used on Ebay or craigslist. That's how I picked up my X51 Lowrance. Even though it's black and white, this unit picks up lakers in deep water at the Gorge, and it works great in shallower lakes such as Willard and Utah Lake. I also have a GPS Eagle that was about $100, again black and white, which is why it's affordable. The transducer went out, and that's when I got the Lowrance. Later I found a transducer for very little cash, and I usually just use the GPS but sometimes switch over to sonar just to compare what I'm seeing on both units. More than 90 percent of the time, the Eagle will pick up exactly what I'm seeing on the Lowrance except in really deep water, when the Lowrance shines. My friend has a $2,000 unit that is the cat's meow, and when we use his boat, it's a little easier to see what's down there because the fish show up red, but honestly it doesn't give that much advantage.
[signature]
If you do a search for fish finders you will find all kinds of threads about different models. Also TubeDude has put together a lot of info about different fish finders up on the Float Tube boards. Here is a link to that page.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]