Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake, East Bay 6 species slam
Spent the morning prospecting in the east bay area and found some color! Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the sun so some of the photos are washed out.

I started with 1 inch grubs on 1/32 jigs. First couple of takers where whities then bluegills took over as I got closer to the reeds. Add in a couple of crappies and a little bitty sunny and I had 4 species in the first hour or two.

At one point I got a bit of line twist and let the jig sit on the bottom while I got the twist sorted out. As soon as I picked the jig off the bottom a 2-3lb carp grabbed it and gave me a fun battle on the ultralight. After "cleaning out" its gills I set it free.

I then moved out a bit deeper looking for catfish. They weren't shy about chasing the little jigs hopped along the bottom.

The fishing was steady. Of course, it only takes a nibble here and there to keep me out longer than I should.

I also attached photos of a couple bigger cats from the week or so. Haven't landed anything larger yet this year. I guess I'll have to start using heavier gear even when focusing on panfish. I've already lost several jigs fished ultralight to bigguns that snapped the line even with a light drag. The first head shake and pow!

[signature]
Sounds like you had some fun today. [cool] Gotta love days like this!
[signature]
With the reflection in picture #3, that fish looks really cool.

Were you out in a boat or tube or were you fishing from shore?
[signature]
Well done![Smile] Always fun when you can get multiple species in a single fishing trip.
[signature]