Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CABLE VS BRAID
I was fishing this week-end at the Gorge and hung up a down rigger and snapped the steal cable. Was thinking about replacing it with Braid. Can anyone help me with the pros and cons of braid vs steel. This is a cannon electric with postitve ion control which I know I will loose if switch to braid. Or should I just stick with steel. Mostly fish for Macs at the 100ft level. Will braid still work as effective at this depth as steel?
Thanks
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I hired a guide up at FG last year to hunt down some macs and he was running braid on all four of his manual down riggers. One pro that I noticed was the lack of cable hum. Four riggers and they all ran whisper quiet. If I’m not mistaken, I believe he was running 250 lbs. Also the line diameter is thinner so you don’t get as much cable swing. I for one like the idea, but I like the auto stop on my Cannon Mag 10’s more. Hope this helps![/font]
[signature]
A friend of mine and a member of BFT, Reelfast, switched his electric riggers over to braid a few years back. I'm sure he will be glad to give you his opinion about cable vs braain, if you send him a PM or maybe he will see this post and reply. He also has cannons with the ion control.
[signature]
Brent, you should probably read this thread:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=278928;#278928"]Link[/url]
[signature]
Thanks Guys just the information I was looking for.
Brent
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]
Just to satisfy my own curiosity I called up Cannon to get their take on the subject. I talk to a nice individual in the tech department and he went into some detail on how the spider wire or braid absorbs water which after time will allow it to expand. With a couple hundred raps of wet braid that then expands it can cause enough pressure on the plastic spool to crack and break it. [:/] He said "he's seen more than a couple." He then emphasized that doing this will void the Cannon warranty. Just a friendly FYI.[Smile][/font][font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[signature]
Wow! Thanks for doing that.
[signature]
I had braid on my canon outrigger for my planer boats. It would come off the top pulley and was a real pain to get back in as its not rigid at all. I switched back this year to steel. Braid I liked because it was so light but when I couldn't run a planer boat because of it, I couldn't put up with that.
[signature]