Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to fishing, one simple question
So I went to a hot spot for fluke in NY with a new surf rod and reel, last time I went with a friend I had a large amounts of catches but this time I lost half a bag of bait and pretty much felt nothing biting even through the bait was gone as I reeled it in. I caught one nuisance crab stealing my bait in action but I doubt it was a crab every time. now the hooks come with a pre-set line and loop, I just set the loop through the bracket, my question is should I just leave the loop as it is or should I tie it so there is no loop and it would be tighter, I don't know what else the problem could have been to why I felt no bites 3 hours in.
Thanks
[signature]
You said it, CRABS. They will always steal your bait. Leave the loop alone on your fluke rig, thats not the problem. Try squid for bait as it won't be eaten so fast. I never caught fluke from the beach, thought you had to have a drift. Do you drag the bait in?
[signature]
Yep, sounds like crabs. And do yourself a favor, and learn how to tie a carolina rig. You'll catch more flounder/fluke. Also, get yourself a castnet and a flow troll bucket, and catch live bait. If you're fishing from the surf, there should be plenty of mullet or what ever to catch. Don't be scared to put a hand sized live bait on a hook for fluke either. [Wink]

A flounder rig should be light and clean. My favorite hook is a Kahle hook, and I use about a 18" piece of fluorocarbon for the leader. Run your hook in one eye, and out the other, of the live bait. Going through the lips like many anglers learned to do will hinder the baits ability to flow water through thier gills, ESPECIALLY if you're stationary fishing.
[signature]