Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand Augers
Ice season is coming up and I'm ready to go play. I haven't been fishing much this summer so sorry for not having much to share. I have an 8 inch Mora hand auger and am looking to upgrade. Can't afford a power auger yet and am wondering what other/better options I have by way of hand augers. I see the augers that claim to cut faster than the regular augers. Do they really cut that much faster and are they worth it? Any ideas appreciated!!
[signature]
Nils
Best hand auger I have ever owned!
More expensive, but they are easy and fast.
Effort - 8 inch Nils = 6 inch Mora.
[signature]
As long as the blades are sharp and you don't bang the blades on the ice before you start drilling, they will all cut really well. The smaller the hole the faster they will cut and the easier it is to turn the crank. Physics 101.
[signature]
You can keep an eye on KSL, and probably find a set for $30, but you might need a sharpener, or new blades. I found a hand auger plenty adequate for a first year on ice. I can see that late-season super-thick ice can get a bit tiresome - especially if you find you need to move around much. But there's also capitalizing on 'old holes' as others move around. Maybe stick to 6 or 7 inches though.

Dig it!
My advise is the same, go to a 6inch auger. They cut twice as fast and with half the effort of an 8 inch, and the hole is still prenty big for all the fishing you'll do in Utah aside from big macs at Flaming gorge and Fish lake. I've pulled several out over 20", a little harder to get the head started up the hole but way better than drilling holes with an 8 inch hand auger.
[signature]
+ 1 on the Nils
[signature]
You can't beat the nils. I have a 6" and it cuts through a foot and a half of ice in under 30 seconds. It is worth every penny. Plus I've had mine for 4 years now, still doesn't need sharpening. My buddy has had his for 8 or 9 years and is now starting to consider a new blade, maybe. Cough up the $125 or so for one and you're set. And in case you're worried about the size, I've pulled a 7# rainbow through the 6" hole.
[signature]
I've had fabulous luck with my Strikemaster (not the cheap blue models, the black model that I got for $70-80 years ago). Those that have gotten others have agreed that this one is far superior to cheaper models.

I can be thru 6-8" of ice before my buddies can even get a power augar started. [Wink] I got a good 5 years of steady use out of it, but I just had the blades sharpened and we shall see how that worked.

And +1 on the smaller diameter. Mine is 8" (I believe) and I've never had the need for anything larger.
[signature]
I just got the Nils. Can't wait to try it out.

Windriver
[signature]
+100 on the Nils. Cuts through ice like a hot knife through butter (well almost).
[signature]
I would not buy a new hand auger. Get new blades or have the old blades sharpened! Sharp cutting blades will make the old auger seem like a brand new one with little hurt on the pocket book.
[signature]

+1 on not banging your blades on the ice. Even a rough set down can effect them. I would also by a hand sharpener and use after you go out each time. It is much easier to maintain a blade then try and re sharpen it after several uses. If you do get new blades you will save some $$ and you can by one of my favorite tools. The Eskimo redneck chisel ($35) is amazing, the shape of the staggered tip makes a huge difference. I cut through 2" of ice with each hit. I now use a gas auger for thick ice and the redneck for 7" or less. It also works great for old holes and checking ice thickness, I painted one inch bars on mine for accuracy. P.S. Don't use your hand auger to poach old holes. I still want to kick the guy in the ice hole that threw his trash down his hole. I hit his Mt. Dew cans and trashed a new pair of blades. blankity blank litter bugs.

Sorry it has been a while since I have posted on the board, but with ice time starting it time to get my big fish on again ... Freeze baby Freeze
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]
+1 for the strikemaster lazer. I have one in 8” and love it, very fast!! The only thing I like better about the old blue Mora is the offset and collapsible handle. But if you go with the Nils you’ll get that option as well.
But I still opt to take the power auger with more than 12”, Call me a wimp. [Wink]
[/font]
[signature]