Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass set up?
lookin for a decent rod and reel setup that won't break the bank. also line as well. thanks for any info/advice
[signature]
bait caster or spinning rod? I use both for different bass fishing situations.
[signature]
if you can cast a bait caster I like the Pflueger Templar for a starter reel. I have one on a Abu Garcia Cardinal 6.5 foot M/H action rod, love the holy heck out of it.
[signature]
I'd start with a spinning outfit 6'6" inch or 7' medium power with a fast tip.

Once you're ready with a baitcaster. Go with a 6'6" or 7" medium heavy rod with a fast tip. Great all around rods. You'll cast a little further and have a little more power on your hooksets if you go with a 7 footer. Slightly less accurate when starting, but really easy to get the swing of it. There's abunch of rods for under 100 now.

As far as reals go okuma makes a great baitcaster reel although I prefer shimano and they have two reels that are pretty great deals for the money: The Caenan and the Citica. The Citica would be the better of the two in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
[signature]
I'm thinking bait caster. that spinning reel became a pain with what i was trying to throw in to. also i fished for muskies and it seemed a bait caster would have been nice as well.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is always easier to give meaningful advice when more pertinent information is provided. Some of the first responses reflect that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not all bass are created equal...in terms of size, habitat, lure preferences, depths fished, angler skill levels etc. And if you are going to be doing a wide range of fishing...under various conditions...you will likely want to acquire more than one rod/reel combo. Some bassaholics have taken this rationale to rediculous levels.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A very simple overview is that spinning or light baitcasting gear works better for throwing light lures...for smaller fish...in shallower water...where there is a fairly clean bottom with not much nasty structure. But some of the new light baitcasters are a dream to use under these conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stout baitcast gear is recommended for fishing bigger lures for bigger fish...especially when they have to be muscled from cover. The revolving spool reels can handle heavier line...and braided line...more efficiently than most spinning reels. But spinning reels are better for mono and light tackle presentations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the final analysis, it is very subjective...subject to a lot of personal opinions. You should try before you buy...if possible. Get a feel for the feel. You need to be able to make a lot of casts without needing a shoulder replacement...and it should function smoothly enough that you can focus on the fishing and not on fighting with your tackle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The action on the rods should be tough enough to set the hook on large fish...while using heavy line and big hooks. But, if you are using lighter stuff, a heavy rod and line will result in missed strikes and a lot of frustration in feel and control.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Again, if you are under no pressure to get something quickly, invest some time in a good tackle shop to handle a few combos and get the feel for the potentials.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The only recommendation I would really give you is don't go cheap on the reel. The cheap baitcasters will drive you to drinkin in a hurry.

Save on the other stuff but as you're starting go with a good reel.
[signature]
Go to Fish Tech, they can help you out, ask for Dan... They have some good rods for under $100 but you want the best reel you can get..
[signature]
Go to sportmans and fool around with some different rods/reels. As mentioned above on a baitcaster, you cannot afford to get a cheap one. There are a few forums I know of where you can get some good quality gear for a good price. UT doesnt have much love for a bass fisherman.

Personally i wouldnt by anything but Daiwa, Shimano or Abu Garcia. While some guys like Quantum, I think they are complete garbage. Go down and hold some in your hand. Each brand will be slightly different in feel and style. Some are made more to "palm" them in your hand, so are really small and light. This is my favorite style. It makes flippin baits 10x easier and they weigh almost nothing. The other main difference in BC reels is the braking system. Shimano for instance you have to take the sideplate off to adjust the magnets in it, which to me is a complete pain in the butt.

If you can find a few guys who will let you cast one a few times that would be your best bet.

Shoot me a pm and I can direct you a few places that will really help you out.

[Wink]
[signature]
4 of the 5 rods that I "work" with are berkly lightning rods. They are absolutely awesome. Super light, super sensitive and are only $37, or if you wear fancy pants the cabelas XML is around $100. Or you could make everybody jelous with a G Loomis. Best just go ahead and get a couple rigs by springtime. I like Abu Garcia and shimano reels but like others have said your best investment is in the reel, a $100 reel will work fine. Oh ya I'm talkin casting rod/reels, I use 1 medlight spin and 4 casting in med, medhvy, and heavy. If your not familiar with a casting reel might have someone show you how they work. And last of all, go practice casting in the yard with a drop shot.
[signature]
For a starter that won't break the bank !! Start off with a Garcia 4500C3, a vernable 'round' reel. Has great line capacity, easy to maintain, easy to adjust, easy to use. Pair with a moderate price range rod, but please avoid Ugly Sticks !!. Garcia, Fenwick, Wright Magill, etc all make good rods in the $70 - 80 range. Your whole outfit will be less than $150, but will be serviceable . After you become proficient with it, you can expand to more exotic models.
IMO, the best answer to your question is based on what kind of fishing you do the most. If most of your time is spent tossing lightweight baits in shallow water, then go for that. If you are dropshotting, then get a dropshot rod. If you mostly toss heavy stuff into cover then buy that.

For me, most of the early year is spent tossing light plastics like senkos and I have a rod for that, later on we dropshot more and I use my dropshot rod. (I also bought one of Tomeguns old general purpose Loomis rods that I use on occasion too) That's it. I don't need anything else at the present time, based on my fishing habits.

I would differ with some other posters in saying that while yes, you don't want to buy junk for your reels, the rod is where you will notice a difference in performance on the water. For instance, when I toss senkos with a dropshot rod, I don't get near the hookups (more swings and misses) that I do with a rods designed for a senko type bait. Conversely, a dropshot rod is a dream to fish while dropshotting or vertically jigging. (Think Strawberry cutts.)
[signature]
I'd go with a 5ft light ugly stick and a medium quality reel like a garcia cardinal 402 or something like that. Just spool 12lb test trilene xl on it and it's good for most situations. Then do the same setup but 30 -50lb braid on another rod and pretty much you're set for everything. U could get a bait caster but I hate them things for now.
[signature]