Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Stroke Ban - Facts
So I keep hearing different versions of what the ban entails and more so now that I am selling a boat with a two stroke motor. I ran across this on the Nevada website so I am going to assume its pretty accurate. Good reading for anyone who was not sure if they were going to be affected. The good side is us fishermen are not currently at risk of being banned if we have a two stroke BUT that may change if the additional proposal goes through.

http://www.nps.gov/lake/parkmgmt/twostroke.htm

Two-Stroke Vessel Engine Regulations

Presently, the 2003 carbureted two-stroke motor ban that goes into effect on January 1, 2013 only applies to personal watercraft (Jet-Skis, SeaDoos, WaveRunners, etc).

However, the National Park Service is currently working to propose a rule to implement Lake Mead NRA's 2002 Lake Management Plan. The plan, which went through an extensive public meeting and comment process, states the park's management strategy of banning all two-stroke motors not meeting 2006 EPA guidelines for the manufacture of marine motors.

Regulation

36 CFR §7.48 (f)(3) - After December 31, 2012, no one may operate a personal watercraft (PWC) that does not meet the 2006 emission standards set by EPA for the manufacturing of two-stroke engines. A person operating a personal watercraft that meets the EPA 2006 emission standards through the use of direct-injection two-stroke or four-stroke engines, or the equivalent thereof, is not subject to this prohibition and will be allowed to operate as described in this section.

Background

The final rule to prohibit PWC carbureted two-stroke engines on lakes Mead and Mohave was published in the federal register on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 (Vol 68, No. 68).

Frequently Asked Questions

Why was this instituted?

To keep your lake and national park clean. Lake Mead supplies drinking water for millions of people in Las Vegas. Carbureted two-stroke engines have been shown to discharge as much as 25% of their fuel directly into lake waters. These emissions have the potential to harm water quality, people’s health, and aquatic organisms.
There is a ten year phase-in of this PWC rule at Lake Mead NRA. The rule was announced in 2003. Enforcement will begin on January 1, 2013.
If you do not know whether your vessel meets the 2006 EPA emission standards for two-stroke engines, please contact the engine manufacturer or servicing mechanic.
Does this rule apply to all boats?

Not yet, this rule only applies to PWCs. However, the park’s 2002 Lake Management Plan states the park’s intent to ban all polluting two-stroke engines that do not meet 2006 EPA emissions standards in the future. The Lake Management Plan went through extensive public review that included public meetings and public comment periods. At this time, the park is moving forward to propose a rule to implement that management strategy. When the rule is proposed, the National Park Service will notify the public through the Federal Register and news releases to solicit comments on the proposed rule.
Why didn’t the park propose the rule for all boats earlier?

The park intended to follow the PWC rule with a rule that implemented the 2002 Lake Management Plan intent of banning all polluting two-strokes. That process was delayed as our response to unforeseen issues such as the unprecedented decline in lake levels and discovery of the invasive quagga mussel took precedence. In addition, the PWC rule was rolled into a larger body of regulations for the use of PWCs in national parks. Those regulations were issued in response to a lawsuit brought against the National Park Service that sought to ban all PWC use in national parks nationwide.
Can I modify my engine?

PWC owners have expressed an interest in modifying existing PWC engines to meet 2006 EPA emissions standards. Retrofit kits do exist. The intent of the rule is to remove highly polluting engines from the water. If you are willing to invest in this cost, this would meet the intent of the rule. Because of the expense we anticipate that a very small number of PWC owners will choose this option.
I have an oil injected two-stroke, is that the same as a direct injection two-stroke?

No. Oil injected two-strokes are still carbureted and require a fuel-oil mixture to enter the combustion chamber. Direct injection two strokes are not carbureted and fuel and oil are not mixed. These two terms are often incorrectly used interchangeably.
This video illustrates the difference between carbureted and direct injection two-strokes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viWhxvo6DLk
How will rangers determine if my engine isn’t compliant?

Rangers will take into account the model of the vessel, the engine type, and whether it’s carbureted in determining if a vessel should be removed from the lake.
What will happen if I bring my carbureted two-stroke PWC to the lake after Dec. 31, 2012?

PWCs that are not within compliance will have their voyages terminated and the PWC will have to be removed from the water. The point of the rule isn’t to ticket boaters, but to ensure that the most polluting engines are kept off the lake. As time passes, the number of non-compliant PWCs will decline through attrition. Repeat offenders may face citations and fines.
Where else can I use my PWC if I can’t use it on Lake Mead or Lake Mohave?

Not at Lake Powell. The same rule will go into effect for PWC's at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Glen Canyon NRA currently doesn't intend to extend the carbureted two-stroke ban to all boats.
Two-stroke PWCs are as of 2011 still permitted in areas such as the Colorado River south of Davis Dam, Lake Havasu and other recreation areas managed by other federal, state and local agencies.
What is a Personal Watercraft?

36 CFR §1.4 - Personal watercraft refers to a vessel, usually less than 16 feet in length, which uses an inboard, internal combustion engine powering a water jet pump as its primary source of propulsion. The vessel is intended to be operated by a person or persons sitting, standing or kneeling on the vessel, rather than within the confines of the hull. The length is measured from end to end over the deck excluding sheer, meaning a straight line measurement of the overall length from the foremost part of the vessel to the aftermost part of the vessel, measured parallel to the centerline. Bow sprits, bumpkins, rudders, outboard motor brackets, and similar fittings or attachments, are not included in the measurement. Length is stated in feet and inches.
Questions

Contact Lake Mead NRA Public Affairs
(702) 293-8691 or e-mail us
[signature]
If you want a Two Stroke go Optimax.
Baysport

RUNS CLEANER
Every OptiMax engine already exceeds the EPA’s emission standards for the year 2006. And the OptiMax 135 meets California’s stringent “Three-Star” rating . . . which means it’s compliant with 2008’s 91 percepercent reduction in emissions.nt reduction in emissions.
[Image: Logos-Emissions.gif]
[signature]