Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angler's Inn ... SLC ... Going out of business
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]As many of you know, recently Angler's Inn in Roy closed their doors. Today I walked into the Salt Lake Angler's Inn to check on a new bait cast rod and to my surprise I find myself in the middle of a "going out of business sell". Turns out, they too are closing their doors November the 8th. That is the last of the Angler's Inn stores. After they close, there are no more Angler's Inns.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Right now everything is 3o% off. In two days it will be 40% off. And later on, 50% off.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I Inquired why all the Angler's Inn stores are closing and they told me that three years of declining fishing, five years of drought, increase in Internet sales from distributors, and $2.5 million dollars less in Utah fishing licenses sold this year alone are all pretty much the demise. Interestingly, they said that competition such as Sportsman's Warehouse had little or no impact on their reasons to close. Just too many years of a slumping market.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]They made a good point that, yes, we can all get better deals over the Internet and from catalogue sales, but we are loosing the ability to get fairly good quick one-on-one hands-on training from sales personnel who like to help show customers the what and how.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I got my rod at 30% off, a new Shimano bait cast reel, a bunch of jig heads, and some real nice full size fish identification charts. The guy at the checkout was a whole lot more liberal with prices that the folks were in Roy. Even "gave" me a couple of the things I took to the counter![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Their selection of reels is poor. But they still have a real good selection of rods. As for everything else, it's FAR from picked over. But that will change as the prices go down.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]If any of you want to visit their store before they close the doors after 27 good years, here is how to get there:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Take I-15 to the I-80 junction in SLC. Go east on I-80. Exit off I-80 at the 13th east exit. Travel south on 13th east to the first stop light (2700 south). At that stop light, turn west (right) and go to the first stop light (Highland Drive). Turn right again (north) onto Highland Dr. Travel north on Highland to 2292 South. The store is on the west side of the road and is in a little strip mall area. The address is 2292 So. Highland Drive. Their phone number is (801) 466-3921.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I kind of wish this old land mark wasn't going away.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Its very interesting that they feel it has nothing to do with competition.

Anglers had a chain of stores, and the benefit of a well established name.

Yet, they are gone, and places like hooked have expirienced steady growth and expansion over these past years of drought and low sales.

I always figured anglers was doing real well until sportsmans came along, then they lost the overall public support.

Anglers in riverdale never was very good with thier customer service. But then again neither is sportsmans in riverdales gun counter. Thats pretty much why I buy my guns elsewhere. Hooked on the other hand has excellent customer service. James always has done a good job trying to please his customers.
[signature]

They are being Honest about the competition factor. It all has to do with management.They cold have put there store right next to any warehouse store and beat the pants off it.
[signature]
I couldn't agree with you more HFT.

After I bought your last Producer (Prism Shad), the other day I started wondering how long it will be before you get some more in, any idea? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I have heard many a complaint about the customer service and help at Angler's Inn. I can't help but think it is about time I posted my experience with them. Untill yesterday, I have never shopped the Sugarhouse SLC store. They treated me like they were just new in business and wanted me to come back time and time again. Yet they are soon out of here. I shoped a lot at the Riverdale store. And they ALWAYS treated me better than any other store I have ever shopped at. And I don't even Fly fish! As for Sportsman's wearhouse, I know most of the salesmen by name. They too treat me with lots of respect and help. It's like all these places took lessons from James at HFT on how to treat customers good. So, I am always surprised to hear that so many of you have had bad experiences at these places when I have not.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I do, on the other hand, have to admit, I don't think any of the other places would ever do like James at Hooked would do and sit right down and custome build my modified prism shads right there on the spot!. Heack, one day he even let me use his office phone for one hole hour to do un related business![/size][/font]
[signature]
I agree with you Coot. I have shopped anglers all my life and have never had anything but great customer service there. I also don't fly fish. I was told by an employee that the pontoon buisness killed them. I have found one of their most knowlegable And helpful sales guy at Smith and Edwards. When I am in that part of town I take my buisness there now.

Cableguy
[signature]
Thanks for the info Coot.

I purchased another M6 graphite rod, It was a screaming deal at less than $20 and a pair of SureGrip gloves at about 70% off. He just asked me what I wanted to pay for them. Plus some other nicknaks.

I was hoping to get a set of waders but all they have left are size XXL, but they do have a good selection of wading boots. I was told that the waders sold out on the first day of the sale. They still have plenty off custom rods as well as production rods. Nows a good time to go out and get a pricey rod cheap.
[signature]
Coot,

Did they have any St. Croix baitcasting rods left. I find myself in need of a few.

IFG
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]Yes IFG, they did ... at least when I was there they did. I held one and there might have been more but I don't know. They had quite a few rods but they were getting kind of all mixed up. Ya have to be persistant and look through all the rods to find ones you want.[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]I'd realy like to go back down again and get some more stuff just because thay arn't very strict about what percentage they take off. But when I came home the other day with a new Diawa rod and Shimano reel, I found myself in deep do-do with my accountant. So, I'll just have to watch the rest of the good deels go by ... darn.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
If you guys like the old Anlger's Inn style of service then go to FishTech in Holladay. The best and brightest from the Sugarhouse Angler's Inn left Angler's many years ago because of how things were changing at Angler's. The guys at FishTech know their stuff and I always have a good experience there.

m
[signature]
I lived most of my life just up the road from SLC Anglers Inn. That is Sad to hear about them closing there doors. I did most of my Christmas shopping there, and fishing shopping there. There customer service was unbeatable also, you could go in there and talk fishing for hours. I went to college at Westminster and a group of guys in college would go over there about everyother friday in the winter and they got to know us as the ice fishing partiers. We would go to anglers inn, then go to the friday night college party going on, then leave the party(with a designated driver) and drive to strawberry at like 4:00 am to start ice fishing!!!! Well another one bites the dust!!!! I will have to go down there tomorrow and do some shopping
[signature]
I just got back from there. Everything is 30% off except for a rack of walleye lures and such, that is 60% off. Don't try calling them because they aren't answering the phone. They laid off all of the employees but one, and he is doing his best to help everyone. I was told that the owner was there, but if he was he is hiding in one of the back offices and not helping anyone. They still have a large selection of rods, lures, hooks and line.
[signature]
Sad to see them go. Need to get down there and stock up.
[signature]
It is Sad to see any local store go down hill. However my experiences with Anglers has been just the opposite of everyone else. I absolutely despised shopping in their stores. Terrible customer service, terrible knowledge on their products terrible prices and just overall terrible experiences. I do agree that Fish Tech and Hooked is the place to go for better knowledge, friendlier people and an overall beter experience.
[signature]
Ditto here OEJ, how was you trip to Colorado?
[signature]
All this talk about the opening of the Sportsmen having no effect on the Angler's Inn is ridiculus. I shopped several times at the Anglers and they just didn't have what I was looking for. Basic items they said they would have to order for me. The Sportsmen has everything and they are a lot cheaper than the Anglers. I knew it was just a matter of time before the Anglers went out of business. I'm sure mismanagement had a lot to do with it also. The small guys just can't comptete with the big boys.. Look what Wal-mart has done to the small guy.
[signature]
Besides the flat tire in Estes Park, dealling with a group of traveling magazine salesmen, changing hotels and not having any stinking time to fish... It was good.
[signature]
I know what you mean, I was in Cortez, had a nice stream real close to the B&B and couldn't get to it.
[signature]