Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintah Fun!
Fished Saturday at the Soapstone from 1pm to 4 pm started at the bridge and headed down stream from there. Fish has sure dropped off since last weekend and the water is much colder thatn last weekend also. Caught 10-15 fish only kept 3 (Rainbow 14", Brown 12" & Brookie 10") all in the 10-14" range, most of the fish caught were 6-14" with most around 6" I did see a couple nice fish that I couldn't hook up. This was a lot of fun because I squeezed the barb on the hook so I was basically fishing barbless for most of the day.

UncleRay was along to enjoy the fun he has a lot of trouble on the Provo and hasn't figured it all yet, but I try to help him out and he's learning. Oh yeah he caught fish too!

After we tired of the Upper Provo we headed for the Bear River drainage. Stopped at the Sulphur Campground. Earlier this year I fished there as we were eaten alive, but the bugs are mostly gone we fished the stream behind this campground from 4:30pm until dark. Lots of beaver ponds and we even got to watch a couple beaver swimming around one pond while we fished. They didn't seem to like it much because they would pop the surface with their tails making a big splash. When they started that the fishing in that pond shut down.

All in all we brought home 11 fish which are headed for canning this evening and will be a tasty treat after the snow begins to fly.

I'm posting some pictures, there is a lot of color in some of the fellas
[signature]
More pictures! We fished the Sulphur area with Panther Martins 1/16 oz silver tipped with worms
[signature]
still more pictures. Sorry for duclicate pictures I didn't do that the site added pictures that I didn't want then would not let me delete them
Enjoy the pictures, I enjoyed the trip and taking them to share with you all
[signature]
kicka$$ !@!@!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
I wanted in on some small uinta fish action this weekend up in murdock, but lost half my pole. guess it will have to wait till next weekend. I see you fish up in the uintas alot. If you ever get into the Murdock basin area i seen some great areas that hold alot of fish. In broadhead meadows, there is a stream that flows through the stream that is full of brookies. At the ATV drop off, the stream that flows through Broadhead flows past there. Then going down the lower road of Murdock basin into the head waters of the Duchesne River, there are some awesome fishing areas.
[signature]
I'm a little worried about the road going up there its kind of rough and all have is a little subaru that I need for the daily toil. How far up from the turn off do you have to go? I've often wondered about that area and I knew you've been up there before on the boards. Tell me more.....
[signature]
The main road into murdock isnt bad at all, about 1/2 mile from the cut off to Echo and Pyramid lake is pretty rough. As for Broadhead Meadows, it is pretty rough coming in from the Murdock road, but there is a road coming into broad head directly from the Mirror lake Hwy, dont know how that road is. and the lower road down to the head waters of the duchesne, that was pretty rough last year, didnt go on it this year, will let you know next weekend on the driving accessability in the area. I did see a ford focus come out of Echo lake.
[signature]
Oh Know...another UT fisherman that knocks em in the head and takes em home..Too bad!!
[signature]
Most of the fish I catch are released. The past 2 trips we caught over a hundred fish and kept only the "bigs or the too hurt to put back" I try to be careful and my daughter gives me a load of buckshot if she thinks I'm handling them too rough.

I process them for canning when I get enough, and they make a great snack in the winter, better than tuna in a sandwich too.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, FFM, nice pics and good report.

Judging by the skinny flanks on a couple of those fish in the pics, it would seem that a bit more harvest would not hurt the remaining population. I sometimes think that the overzealous C&R folks are their own worst enemies...when they allow a stream to develop a larger population than it can support.

I would rather catch fewer and healthier fish than a bunch of skinny runts.
[signature]
You're right some were rather skinny, but there werre a couple fat bow too that I didn't get to shoot because it got too dark!
[signature]
To tell you the truth, I cant ever bring myself to kill a cutthroat, or any of the other trout, too pretty, but I think you are probably doing most of them a favor, they did look skinny. Someones got to do my "dirty work", It is nice to catch three or four 20", than fifty 5".

Anthony
[signature]
I don't know why the trout over by Sulphur CG were so skinny, there were plenty of bugs, and we saw lots of then hitting top water and even some boil type activity as you approached the beaver ponds. Maybe the ponds are over- stocked and need to be thinned out some. The majority of the fish were Brookies & Cuts, with some Bows and Browns mixed in. Every hole I fished you could see 5-10 fish in them, But once one hit then bait/lure they stops biting all together for 10-15 minutes. There is hardly any pressure on the streams below Mirror lake, this time of year. We were the almost the only people at the Campground. There were two motor homes and one tent. But everyone was gone except one little old lady and her dog. I asked if she had seen anyone fishing and hjow long she had been there. she said they had been there a few days and had seen nobody fishing.
[signature]
No No, I put the really skinny one back in the water promply they were only out of the water long enough to unhook them and sometimes they did it themselves. I had to land them cuz the bottoms on ponds are so slippery I kept sliding off the rocks. I can't tell you how many times I fell just trying to get to the shore. By the time I make it home I had bloody and bruised elbows. Of the bunch we caught 30-40 for the day we kept 8, only the fat ones and the skinny ones that inhaled the panter martins. My little digital camera come alive real fast so most of the fish laid in the grass for about 10-15 sec while I hunted for the needle-nosed plyers and the camera. I made use all the ones I put back into the ponds wanted to swim away. Of all the ones I put back only one turned its belly up so I pulled it out and put it on my stringer. It was that long really skinny brown with the oversized mouth, looked to me about 2 sizes too big for the size fish he was.
[signature]
For all of you to see this is what happens in my house with the fish my daughter and I catch. Some of the bows we caught earlier in the year were so big they fit in two jars!
Now I have some good eating for the cold winter months.
[signature]
Hey FFM don't worry about the skinny's [Wink] They were all like that when we fished at most of the Western Uinta hot spots this summer. Have you tried the Eastern Uinta's (near Stateline Res. China Meadows etc.)? We went there on Wednesday and caught and kept total of 14 Bows. Our average was 15" and weighed in at 1.5 lb. with our lightest fish being 1 lb. 4 oz. and our 'big boy' was 17" & 2 lb.

They are ALL very nice and healthy and we didn't have to throw any back to wait for them to get bigger next summer. The best timing was from 6am til' about 9am and from 6pm til' dark. Maybe worth a shot if you're ever up that way...

I've added a few pics if you'd like to check em' out.
[signature]
Good looking fish, and I'm glad that you found the site.
[signature]
Nice bows! Isn't that over by Christmas Meadows? If it is I've been over that way before but fished the Bear River and no place else. I wanted to but time constraints limited where and when I could fish back then. Its been a few years. Didn't they have a fire over by there a few years ago?
[signature]
Thanks, they were a lot of fun bringing in and are really good eating. They have really nice pink meat and great flavor.

I know that you can get to it from Christmas Meadows, which is on Wyoming 150 from Evanston to Mirror but we've never been there from there. We have family in Evanston and went from Evanston to Fort Bridger/Mountain View WY on WY 414 near Smith's Fork Res., Bridger CG, Marsh Lake CG, etc.

We don't fly fish but talked with a guy who was up there with a fly and he says he always does good at Bridger and they were all as big as the ones we had. I guess the whole area is supposed to be pretty good right now.

They did have a fire up there a few years ago but it didn't effect that area at all other than the rec. activities had slowed down which may also explain why they were big healthy ones.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Kent! We really enjoy this forum a lot better. [Smile]
[signature]