Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish finders
I know this has been talked about a million times but what is your favorite fish finder for on the boat. I want to update my old Eagle ultra II, I want one that shows your tackle and is capable of working on deep lakes like the gorge.
[signature]
bump. How about some opinions. Please.
[signature]
I must admit that I have used all the major brands on my boats and for what it's worth I like Lowrance. I just ordered two HDS7 Gen2's for my boat. I am banking on being able to "Nintendo Fish" with my drop shot rigs or jigging for lakers. After you decide between color vs non color and gps vs non gps I would buy the fish finder with the most power and pixels you can afford. Don't know if any of this helps but let me know if you have any more questions.
[signature]
Just talked to Eagle customer service about my Eagle Fish Elite that cost $500 that has not worked well since I bought it and they said they will not repair or refurbish it. I am done with Eagle.

Check out the Hummingbirds. They make good units and they don't break as much from what I have heard. I am considering the 586c HD unit. Good price and great finder.
[signature]
I've had good luck with my Lowrance too. It's an older model, 520 as I recall. Pretty basic but very effective. I have never had any trouble with it and I can locate the lakers at the gorge with no problem in the 100 + feet of water. Can also watch them generally ignore my jig. If I ever feel the need to upgrade it will be another Lowrance.

I also agree with the comments about going for the best unit your pocket book will allow. Seems like you get what you pay for in quality and durability.

(.)~(.)
( ------- )
---oooO----Oooo---
Good luck!
------------------------
( ) ( )

/|\ /|\
[signature]
I think most of the top models are good but whatever you get look for the ones that are pushing the most watts with the largest screen you can afford. I have good results with two different model that push over 3,000 watts of power. You can go to most sporting goods stores and check them out side by side in the demo mode. Lots of choices, good luck with you search.
WH2
[signature]
I've got a bare-bones Hummingbird, and it's done pretty well for me. Have a Bottomline I've never used, cuz I didn't get the power cable (anyone have a Tournament 480 Max they wanna part with for parts?)
Have a Humminbird TCR 101 that came with a boat, but haven't used it yet. (soon soon)

My latest and greatest is a Lowrance - it's the entry level GPS model. Color, has the smaller vertical screen. But with a flasher mode, and transportable for ice - wicked. AND it uses the GPS to tell your speed, so you don't need a wire/spinner mounted to tell you that. I'm in love! Watching fish come up and meet my jig (and then go back down without nary a nibble). The zoom is great - still learning all the options, but I'm a happy camper.

As in all things - as said - you get what you pay for. So figure out your budget, then pay a bit more than that - so you don't decide you want to upgrade, after you just did! (ok, so I'd love to have the ones with the true GPS maps, with underwater contours and all...)

Tax time's coming right?!

Oh - and remember - it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, right?! If you keep at it, you'll get the hardbound annual Cabelas catalog of all catalogs (born under a bad sign!)
You interested in selling your Bottom line 480?
[signature]
I spent three weeks researching a new finder before I committed. I've always been a Lowrance guy but I looked at the Hummingbirds as well. I ended up getting a HDS-8 with Insight for a screamin' price off a sight that I can't say on the board, send me a pm if you want more info.
I just got it today, the instruction manual is 130 pages [crazy]
[signature]
Who makes the HDS-8? How many watts is it pushing?
[signature]
Lemme know if you need somebody to drive the boat (or fish) while you try to figure out how that finder works!

LMAO[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[quote Wasatch801]Lemme know if you need somebody to drive the boat (or fish) while you try to figure out how that finder works! [/quote]

Ha - I hear that! Be a man - ditch the manual, and just go wading through the menus! That's what I've done with mine! (though it took me FOREVER to find the "FISH-ID" to shut it off, so I could watch my JIG correctly, that that constant "school of fish" that was passing my depth!