Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striper Setup - What's Yours?
Hey Guys,

I am looking to get a rig for striper fishing. What do you guys recommend? I am a big fan of the Ugly Sitcks and I am considering the Striper Ugly Stick. I believe it is a one piece Medium Light Action rod.

Any recommendations for a reel? I prefer Shimanos, but also looking at Pfleugers. I have always owned Shimanos or Abu's, but the Pfleugers look and feel nice. Only concern is that some reviews come back that the Pfleugers freeze up and don't do well if they get wet?

Also, what kind of line are you guys spooling?

Thanks in advance for the info!
[signature]
[cool]Welcome to the board. If you intend to target large stripers then that rod will work for you. I have a 7' black ugly stick matched with a 4000serisPenn Sargus reel. It is spooled with 14lb test mono and will handle fish to 20lbs. The biggest so far on that setup is 10lbs. The Sargus is a saltwater reel and works extremely well.I have a buddy in SoCal. that has a similar setup but with a Shimano Sahara. Most of the stripers that are caught in lake mead are from dinks to about five lbs. There are bigger fish for sure but it takes awhile to find them. For those fish I use multiple rods from 7'6" med spin,7' med spin,6'6", medlt. spin and 6'6" baitcasters. The spinning reels reels are Shimano Saharas,a small Abu Garcia,and a Penn Sargus 3000 series. Bait casters are Shimano Curado and Diawa.All reels spooled with Berkley mono. I would suggest at least a couple outfits to match the size fish. Hint; Bass Pro Shops annual sale hits this friday with some great deals. Good luck out there and maybe I'll see you out on the water.
[signature]
Sweet, perfect timing! I will definitely check out the sale.

I am looking at a spinning reel, that will have 8-10lb line on it. Is that what most people run for fishing boils? I noticed the water is super clear, so curious what strength line is "too much."

Thanks.
[signature]
Lake mead that's fine... Down at willow beach the water is super clear and you don't wanna run anything but 20 to 30 pound mono when striper fishing... At least if your throwing big plugs for the big stripes down there... If you don't hook up to a decent striper "average 10 to 30 lbs" the little guys will run ya down into the trees and cause just as much head ache... Hth
[signature]