Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warm Spell
This week will be the first full warm week weve had since fall. It will be a high of mid 60s to mid 70s. How long will it take for the bass to become more active and not so sluggish?
[signature]
This is Spawn time for Bass. When your water temps get above 50 degrees to 65 degrees the Males will start moving into shallow water to make beds. In the next couple of weeks the females will take over those beds and that's when you have a chance to catch a lunker bass of a lifetime.

Now that your temperatures are that high the bass will definitely be more active. I wrote a decent article here at BFT a few years ago about fishing for Bass this time of year.

You can read it here:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/fishing_art...s_617.html
[signature]
awesome. ill have to get a water temp reading within the next couple days and see what i can do. i have yet to catch a bass over 5lbs so, thats my goal for the year
[signature]
You have to consider the water depth when doing readings. The water on the north side of the shore in late afternoon on a sunny day will often be several degrees higher than water just a few feet deeper out.

For instance if you use a regular thermometer at the bank midday on the north bank and get a reading of 50 degrees. The water temperature just 6 feet away from bank in 5 foot of water could still be as low as 40-45 degrees.

The water temp on the south side of the lake even at the bank could even be as low as 40 degrees.

To accurately test it .. tie a thermometer to a fishing line with a float above it.

Cast it out a few feet and have the thermometer two feet down. get your reading. Cast again at 4 foot. repeat down to about 10 feet.

You will be amazed at the water temperature differences from even 5 foot to 6 foot this time of year.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
same thing is happening here. But i havent caught anything yet. Ive been using 7.5" culprit worms, senkos, and spinners. Going back out today hope to catch one.
[signature]
Leave the spinnerbaits home. Slow is the only way right now. Worms or jerkbaits, Jigs if you feel comfortable about them.
[signature]
gdn443 I caught another semi-hawg today on black spinner bait with 4" swim bug trailer at Valentines. Bass was between 4.5lb and 5.lb.

I cast out past structure (fallen tree this time) and let it sink for about 3 to 5 seconds then reel super slow, just enough for the blades to spin.

Pic:
[inline "Snapshot 2 (3-14-2012 7-21 PM).png"]
[signature]
Sounds like you worked it just like a jig. See how well that worked.[Wink]
[signature]
Nice going. The bass are waking up where you're at! Many of mine are still under ice! Gotta hit the rivers.

So when you work a spinner - do you pause or jerk it, or just get it spinning, then reel steady?

I often like to break things up a bit, but I find if I snap first - I get a good spin started, then I can slow down.

Other baits I'll stop, drop, pickup - but spinners a lot of times - I give them a straight steady retrieve.

Just curious what works for you. Thanks.
ive been hearing alot about using jigs these days for bass. whats your input on the chatterbait (if i work it like a jig)?
[signature]