Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting started float tubing....
I was perusing Sports Authority in the University Mall, since it's pretty much the only store in the mall I can stand, and they had a Classic Accessories Teton marked down to $80 and then was on clearance for half of that.

So I bought it.

I've been looking at tubes for quite a while but haven't been able to justify getting one in my own mind, even though they're not that expensive. Now I just need to get a few things and need some guidance on them:

Waders
Fins
Rod holders
Hand pump/tubing for inflating the bladder while on the water.
Whatever I'm not thinking of.

I'm about 6' tall and about 280 lbs, so the waders will probably need to be 'stout' or whatever they call the fat dude sizes now. I was over 300 lbs until last fall and have been slowly dropping weight since then. I'm hoping to be down to 250 by the deer hunt.

I plan on learning to fish from it on Salem Pond since even if things go horribly wrong, I can still walk to the house. Smile

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And then I'll be able to participate in any gorilla flotilla's that happen. Or leading one on DMAD or Gunnison Bend.

Matt
[signature]
I'm sure you will get a few members to respond to your thread here but also try our Float Tubing board: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?category=66"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...orum.cgi?category=66[/url]
WH2
[signature]
Thanks, WH2. That's exactly what I was looking for. I keep forgetting that there's a whole other section of non-Utah based stuff on BFT.

I have the same issue that TD does in the buyers guide articles. I don't look like I've missed too many meals and it's probably going to be an adventure in itself to find waders that fit. My (smart-aleck) son told me to get a pair of bib overalls, some calf-high rubber boots, a couple rolls of duct-tape, and two cans of flex-seal. He's now grounded. [Image: bobwink.gif]

Matt
[signature]
I was able to pick up an affordable float tube recently as well and went out for the first time on Tuesday! I can tell you it is a ton of fun - and ultimately peaceful out there on the water with you, the blue sky overhead, and your line in the water. You can pick up some cheap fins/flippers at DI/thrift stores - but as for those waders....that's another story. E-bay is a good place to go, but be sure to get some that are 'breathable'. I made the mistake of ordering a pair of insulated sockfoot ones and they are tight as a wetsuit and very warm. So when I went out on Tues it was in my bathing suit and water shoes ($9.99 at walmart). I will be getting a pair of waders when the $$ fund is refilled in a few months. In the mean time, summertime floating without the waders is no big deal - just be sure the waters you are headed to don't have the dreaded 'swimmers itch' invaders. That would be the pits. I can tell you that my first experience floating was awesome! Caught a good size trout, got several hard hits that got away... might be worth just hitting the water before investing in the waders just to be sure you like it. But if you are anything like me, you will LOVE it! Did they have any more of the clearance tube you picked up? My son has been saving for one and I'd love to have him out on the water with me!
[signature]
1. You're not inflating on the water, so don't plan on taking your pump out. If your chambers feel tight, let a little air out.

I wouldn't recommend an electric pump, as a good manual pump will inflate it very quick, plus a manual pump will allow you to 'top off' without over inflating.

2. plan on keeping everything you're going to use on your right and left sides.

3. The pocket in back is hard and or impossible to use.

4. A floating fish basket at your side is a great help.

Best of luck, stay safe.
[signature]