Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mono leader on braid?
For smalleys I have always been a stren guy because of abrasion resistance. . This year I have decided to try Power Pro braid on my new smallmouth rigs. I tried Spiderwire back in the day when it first came out but did not like it.

My question is, how many of you guys are using a mono leader and how many of you are tying straight to the braid and why?
[signature]
I've tried braid and I didn't like it. It has it's place but not really my thing, I do use it in certain places for frogs in tough cover but that's about it.
When I did use it for plastics/jigs I tied on a fluoro leader. A couple snags later and I would have to tie on a new leader. Obviously the fuoro/mono is less noticeable in clear water and that's why I used it.
[signature]
Being a spinning reel fisherman, half my rods have Power pro or Fireline . My buddy does put a leader on his braid.I just am too lazy to do it and still catch fish. It does matter which presentation your doing.
[signature]
Well I am going to use a mono leader I think. the power pro is on my smallmouth rods and the water I fish (several Snake River impoundments) is fairly clear.

I tied some 8 lb Stren to the 15 lb power pro last night with a double surgens knot and it seemed to hold pretty well. I yanked and tuged and it seemed too me hold well.

Anybody else use this knot for this purpose?
[signature]
Why do you use braid on your spinning reel? Does it help with line twist?
[signature]
It seem to be strong as H, and it lasts me two years as I switch it to another reel the next year. [ cheap swede] I do like the way it floats on the top with weightless worms and yes, very little twist if at all. I seem to get more distance with 8lb Fireline than anything else I tried. And I find it more sensitive than other lines. On clear water fishing top water I'm useing palomar. But when on Champlain the water is so murky it doesn't matter at all.
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] Why do you use braid on your spinning reel? Does it help with line twist?[/quote]

That is what I an hoping for, no line twist, more sensitivity, smaller diameter and no spool memory for longer casts and not respooling every week just change the leader.
[signature]
forgiven,Hello,I'd like to add that power pro in 5and 8lb will twist,the line will become flat and twist really bad ,this happens on my spinning reels.10 lb is the lightest I find that works without twisting.My 4lb fire line twist a little but nowhere as bad as the [#008000]5 and 8lb[/#008000] in powerpro...Paul J.

[signature][#bf0000]Edited[/#bf0000] to correct the high lighted area from 10lb to 8lb.
Thanks Paulpro. I spooled up with 15 lb so I should be OK![Wink]
[signature]
Personally, i dont use leaders myself. I fish spiderwire stealth. Pretty good braid. and if the lake is stained it is camouflaged pretty well. But if you are going to use a leader, i would go with fluro.
[signature]