Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats your favorite fishing line?
So what type of line do you swear by? I was looking at new reels at basspro yesterday and got into a conversation with one of the guys about our favorite line - He's the first person I've met who says he spools nanofil on all of his spinning reels! I braid all of my reels, including my spinning reels - I am madly in love with powerpro, best braid on the market for the price (in my humble opinion [angelic]).

After losing dozens of fish on P-line, I'll never use it again. Maybe it was a bad batch, but the entire 300 yards of line had pinches and notches in it that break without any pressure...

So what's your favorite line?? And how about you most hated? Lets hear it!
[signature]
I have several favorites,

for Braid I like the Jerry Brown Hollow spectra in 80 and 130 lb for big fish

for the last few years I have been using Trilene florocarbon in 4 & 6 lb test for trout.

Lastly for everything in between (12-80) I have been using Ande and Maxima. mostly clear.

Least favorites, P-Line, breaks easily when tied with certain knots (dropper loop, blood knot)
Big Game, too stiff.
[signature]
[cool] I have a couple myself. I'm more of an old school guy I use Berkley trilene xl on most of my medium action or light rods. and I use Berkley big game on my big rods. and I use Berkley 100% flourocarbon for my leaders. but if I'm down and out and broke as heck I will use some Shakespeare El cheapo line LOL. personally I like to keep it simple I get too Confused and can't keep up with all the new lines that come out every year lol.[fishon]
[signature]
I only use these:
Braid- Power Pro
Fluoro- BPS XPS Signature series Flurocarbon
Mono-Trilene XL Smooth casting (RED BOX)
[signature]
i like the trilene xl smooth cast too. its on my ultra lite pole in 4 pound, spinning rod at 8 pound.

so far this year my 2 bait casters have 15 pound P-line flouroclear, seams to be working good.

I just bought a good medium heavy rod, going to research braid a lil more for it. to toss big baits into thick stuff better.
[signature]
[cool]I mainly use trilene big game on both casting and spinning in clear or moss green. On some others I use stren and izorline. All are mono.
I don't like p-line.
[signature]
P-Line Flourocarbon , Maxima Mono and Power Pro Braid !!! In that order lol[Wink]
[signature]
For cost effectiveness. Big Game green. If I had one supply of line for the rest of my life it would be Pline Cxx green. For braid it would be Power Pro. Hope it helps. Good luck.
[signature]
P-Line CX (Only the CX, don't care for their Fluorocarbon at all.)

Berkley XL

Spiderwire Fluorobraid

Seaguar Fluoro
[signature]
For bass fishing...power pro as backer and P-line 100% fluorocarbon or YoZuri hybrid on baitcasters. P-Line hybrid on spinning reels. 25# Power Pro Braid on the Frog Rod.

For big Stripers YoZuri.with 50# power pro backer

10lb on the baitcasters and 8lb on the spinning outfits except for the anchovy rig which is 20lb braid and 10 lb flourocarbon leader for fishing in the brush.

I recently spooled up with some old P-Line Flourcarbon 10# test on a baitcaster and it is giving me a lot of problems. I use KVD's line conditioner all the time.
[signature]
The kind that has a large fish on the end of it [fishon]
[signature]
I use Trilene Big Game for all of my mono needs, from 8lb up to 50lb. The stuff is indestructible.

Fluorocarbons, I like Seaguar Abrazx.

Power Pro for my braid needs.
[signature]
What ever is on sale!

Actually 4 lb Trilene XL for ultralight and 8 lb Berkley Big Game for everything else.
[signature]
[quote BigE][cool]II don't like p-line.[/quote]

You don't use it cause your too cheap[Wink]!

Pline fluoro on 4lbs test, PlineCXX on my 12 & 15, BigGame on my 25lbs test mono.
[signature]
Pline has failed me too many time [pirate]
[signature]
I used p-line fluoro and didn't like it. Every time you get a little kink in the line, it snaps. It was like wire in that aspect.

Fluorocarbon crystals are a very hard substance. It has a very high molecular weight and is really dense. I think that P-line just didn't quite get their formula right. It is really sensitive, which is nice, but the fragility of it isn't a good trade off.

I have noticed that stiffness is the biggest problem I have with different fluorocarbon lines. Trilene 100% Fluoro, BPS Fluoro, P-line, Vicious, all have noticeably too much stiffness for my liking.

Seaguar abrazX and invisX are super limp lines, as manageable as quality mono. My Fav. Invisx for drop shotting and abrazx for my baitcasters.

Gary Yamamoto's Sugoi Fluorocarbon is really good.

Then you get into the really expensive lines like Sunline Shooter, Seaguar Tatsu, Toray Bawo, etc. Those line all rule, but you'll get plenty of quality from a 20 dollar spool of fluoro, you don't need to spend 50 bucks.
[signature]
Some lines seem to perform differently depending on the lbs test that you are using. I only use the Pline fluoro with 4lbs test and I have not seen this issue. The CXX Pline I use is a little stiff but I use a line conditioner on all my lines so that compensates for the stiffness I guess. I like the Kevin Van Dam conditoner.

I went through tons of different lines before settling on Pline but I agree there can be some issues that is why I use Big Game on 25lbs test, I'm going to try the new Pline product C21 because it's advertised to be softer more supple and casts well besides being priced lower.

Anybody used C21 yet and if so how about a review? Thanks!
[signature]
The guys at Bass Pro swear by P-Line. Supposedly they all spool their personal Reels with it. The thing they liked the most about P-Line is that it is completely invisible, even at higher lb test.
[signature]
P-Line CX IMO is the best line as far as strength per diameter I have ever used. Everytime I try a new line I spend lots of time in the garage testing different knots and strength of said line. 15lb P-Line CX way out performs all others. Even using poor knots it doesn't break till at least 15lbs the way I test. With a good knot I go as far as 20lbs and that is the line breaking in the middle not at the knot. KNOTS are critical to overall strength. Even though a billion swear by a Polomar there is knots way better though a bigger PITA to tie or get use to tieing.

With that said that is what it is good for. Strength. Plus cheap. I have no probs with visibility either even fishing in the super clean water of Mead I have never noticed a fish shy away even finesse fishing like drop shotting.

Downside it floats and is 100% useless on Lake Mead IMO other than for topwater. I have it on one rod. My topwater/shallow jerk rod. I guess it would be fine if one was vertical fishing from a boat with bait/weight.

That is the only P-Line I like. Never messed with CXX but never heard anything good about it. Their pure Fluoro SUCKS. Don't bother.

Berkley 100% flouro has too much memory even on a baitcaster and I loose too much casting distance. Plus it's strengh is ~ Line diameter verse rated strengh is a pinch bigger than others yet weaker line.

Seaguar Red Label Fluoro casts great but is only good for a short amount of time. Price is good too. Use it for a short period and toss out otherwise you will start loosing fish/baits with line breakage after prolonged useage.

The 20-30 bucks a 200 yard roll of Seaguar InviszX and AbrasizX are my favorites so far.

But I have found with any brand of Fluoro if you are use to say 12lb line strength out of a mono or copoly up it when you switch to fluoro to 15lb.

I get 30-40% more depth out of my cranks running Fluoro verse P-Line CX Copoly. HUGE difference.

Run P-Line CX all you want to catch some fish maybe. I will be using a Fluoro catching them all...

Also P-Line sucks on a spinning rod. Even 8lb was too much of a pita to deal with. Even though I don't really consider it to have too much memory per se it does and too much for a spinning rod unless you are really paying attention. You will get loops in your spool. I only use Trilene XL or a small diameter braid on spinning rods to keep them simple and working for my daughter. I do plan on trying some Seaguar 8 or 10 pound on a spinning rod one of these days to see what there is to see.
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]

The 20-30 bucks a 200 yard roll of Seaguar InviszX and AbrasizX are my favorites so far.

[/quote]
AMEN BROTHER.

[quote wolfs4evr] I do plan on trying some Seaguar 8 or 10 pound on a spinning rod one of these days to see what there is to see.[/quote]

I have run 6lb InvisX on my drop shot rod. It's great line, but I would up it to 8lb next time. Broke a few fish off that should have stayed on. It is super manageable though.
[signature]