Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation 5/12/12
Wife and I, and six month old fished starvation in the boat today. Didn't get on the water until 10 or so, and the first hour was the best. Three rainbows trolling at the mouth of Rabbit Gulch. Two on kastmasters, one on a lucky craft sp78 in rainbow.

Not another bite until 2 when the fourth and final rainbow as caught. The wind picked up suddenly and it became near impossible to control the boat. Not a single bite on pop gear and a worm. Tried shallow, then deeper. Nothing.

Tried anchoring over the shallow hump directly out from the Rabbit Gulch ramp and working the area with jigs and worms. Nothing. Gave up and went in about 4.

Another boat did well on downriggers and dodgers. Full limit of big rainbows and one walleye.

Heard a second hand report that walleye were being caught in numbers "across the lake over the flats".

Not as successful as I had dreamed up, but I'm very glad my wife caught her second, third, and fourth fish. Not quite up to par with the "steelhead" I know from OR, but nice chunky rainbows.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you got a few.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That lake is notorious for becoming windy by late morning or early afternoon. I always hit it by 7 and plan to be done by about 1 or 2. Fishing is often best early too. But I have had days when I caught my best fish right around noon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Walleyes are getting started but it is still a bit cool for the perch. By the middle to end of June they will be schooling up in shallower water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]