Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultra light setup for freshwater fishing
I was just wanting to know what is the best ultra light spinning set up for fishing for panfish. I would also be using small jigs 1/16 and lighter, what pound test should I use? All answers to these questions would be appreciated.<br><br>kybasser<br>"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." ~Patrick F. McManus
I have built some Ultra light rods out of fly rod blanks lots of fun ....<br><br>
I use my UL gear mostly for trout stream fishing, but have found it effective for panfish in lakes on those occasions I've done that. I personally use a variety of ultralight gear. My reels include an Alcedo Micron (no longer made, but can be found in various locations like fishing classified bulletin boards and Ebay), a BassPro produced Pflueger Supreme SP-UL, and a Mitchell 308 (also out of production, but can be found as the Alcedo for much more reasonable cost). My rods include a 5.5' Fenwick HMG (GFS55), a 7' GLoomis IMX (SR841-2), and an 8.5' BassPro Micro Lite Graphite (ML86URS-2). I almost exclusively use 2 lb Ande line, but carry a spare spool with 4 lb, just in case. The suggested Shimano Stella is a great reel, but is heavier and bigger than the ones I listed and costs more than $450!!! I've tried the Shimano Spirex 500, but found its retrieve too slow for stream fishing. Daiwa makes several nice-looking UL spin reels including their new, high-end Team Daiwa S TD-S1500CU ($185) but I haven't tried any of them. Quantum makes a couple real tiny outfits, at very reasonable cost) which seem interesting, but I haven't tried those either.<br><br>Hope this helps. <br><br>
harhar, Nice compleat post. Thanks! And before I forget A GREAT BIG WELCOME to the BFT board. Have fun. Don't forget to edit your profile.<br><br>Texas Gulf Coast Fisher.
There's one other reel that is good for the lite stuff made by D.A.M. made in Germany and I think Cabellas carries them<br><br>