Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead (North End) 7-7-12
Been kicking around the house too many days so had to go. Wasn't with it being a Saturday, the heat and figured lots of past holiday travelers would still be around. Other than the heat the rest wasn't a factor at all.

It is getting to be really hairy launching out of Echo. They need to either dredge the area where the boaters pass the marina or move the dock to the north side of the ramp so we can head out on the south side of the marina like it use to be. There isn't much more than a boat width of room to squeeze past the edge of the marina and going aground. When we headed out the sun was just coming up so I didn't see how much room was left and when we came back I was OMG too much of a wiggle to the north in that area and hitting ground.

Didn't take any pictures at all yesterday. We caught 22 smallies, 7 large mouth and half a dozen accidental stripers. Madison spent at least 6 hours in that lake I think. lol HOT out. I cooked but dealt with it and fished on. Nothing special caught. Lots of 1.5 - 2 pounders. I caught a ton of those fish on a drop shot which makes fish that size FUN since I use a medlight rod for drop shotting.

Got checked by a ranger for the second time this year just before we got ready to pack up. Glad it was the same guy that checked us a couple months back and he remembered us so only had to flash my fishing license his way so he knew I had it on me verse going through the whole safety item check. Nice and quick.
[signature]
Ya these fluctuating water levels are tough and even tougher for the marinas. It is good to know they had the resources to build additional launch ramps (Callville and Echo) rather than just close down. It looks like the current water level will be going no where but down. Hopefully a better winter for snow this next year. Have you been to Mohave lately? I wonder if the water is still low there too. Seems like if Mead is low then Mohave is full and vise versa. At least the fishing is still good.
[signature]
Fishing is good as far as quantity. Thinking back a few trips about 3 fish a hour average. Size... On the small side but still fun. Haven't been to Mohave since Feb or so. Want to but won't on a Sat/Sun. Too many people down there to have to deal with. I don't mind Echo at all on a Sat/Sun since most are on the south end of the lake. Still plenty up north but not nearly as bad.

I don't know Mohave very well. I have yet to really explore it. I have played around a bit on the north end of the lake and the river and that is it.
[signature]
Do you guys just fish the Overton arm area when you go out of echo? Or do you go right as well.
[signature]
Mostly to the North but sometimes we go south and mess around.
[signature]
I prefer to go north, but there is some good water by the islands to the south of Echo
[signature]