Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead (North End) 9-08-12
I was suppose to work Saturday but that went by the wayside... What to do. I thought about Utah/Sand Hollow but something was going on at the lake when I called then I pondered Kolob and chasing the Rainbows but the weather forcast wasn't the best and I didn't want that drive for sketchy weather. Mead had me spooked with the practice session for the US Open this weekend but I figured what the heck and went. Glad we did. Traffic out there and back was nada and the lake traffic in general wasn't bad at all. There was plenty of high end bass boats buzzing up and down the lake but overall where we were fishing it was light. Someone would buzz in and check out the area and leave. More or less all the extra boats on the lake this weekend didn't phase us at all.

The wind though... Was suppose to be single digits! It was at sunrise but shortly after it went straight to 10-15 or more till lunch time or so. Was kind of a pain but we were so busy catching fish it didn't matter [Wink].

Madi had 5 in the boat before I landed anything and in the end she beat me. 20 for her and 18 for me. First time there. She was on it or the one putting lures on her rods knew something and didn't do the same thing on his... lol 5 Stripers and the rest were a 50/50 mix of smallies and LMB. Lots of 2 to 2 1/2 pounders. One of our best days to date on the lake as far as quantity and average size. (The Stripers were pathetic though...)

About noontime the wind went to zero and the later afternoon was glass out there. Downside it was 106 and we cooked. A swim was a must and did the job [Smile]

Some pics:

[Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_001.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_002.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_003.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_004.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_005.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_006.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_008.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_010.jpg][Image: LakeMead_09-08-12_011.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome report! All those tourney guys are gonna be mad at you for making those fish's lips sore. Don't spill the beans on the secret baits though. Make them work for it!

It's funny how many of those tournament guys read this forum looking for easy tips (as lurkers, I might add) and your report is going to make a whole bunch of those guys run up North.

Good things come to those who work for it, and you earned those fish.

I'm going to try to make it to a weigh-in. We'll see how everybody fares.

Good luck to all you lurking tournament anglers this week!

P.S. THE SECRET BAIT- [inline "musky baits.png"]
[fishin]
[signature]
All of the fish had guts too. You can tell they have been on the feed bag hard lately. We did have our first fishing equipment casualty since we got the boat almost one year ago. RIP one nice medium spinning rod. It died under foot. Madison stepped on it and snapped the tip between the first and second eyelet. I guess a excuse to go and get a new Glooms rod[Wink]
[signature]
im telling you there is a ton of bait up in the overton arm, i was marking tons over labor day weekend
[signature]
I went way up the extreme north end and had zero luck about a month ago. All that grass, trees, etc and nada. A little bit further south like were I was at yesterday and I was marking bait ball one after another. I anchor locked at one spot and caught 10 bass. Mostly LMB. There was ball after ball coming through this spot. Mostly Bluegill if I was to take a guess. Only reason I say that is that I caught one drop shotting when one of the balls came by.
[signature]
Thinking back I would of had a 11 maybe 11 1/2 pound 5 fish limit Saturday. Right on track for what they are calling as needed daily to place well in the US Open. No kickers caught which would make a huge difference. I did fish longer than what tournament hours would be in a day so I did have more hours on the water than they would get in a day. But I did spent lots of time checking out what I knew would more than likely be non-productive areas/water, had lunch and took a refreshing swim/break [Smile]
[signature]
Yeah, 11.5 would be enough to keep you in the race if you could get it 3 days in a row.

We have a low barometric pressure system moving in today and tomorrow, and I think it will benefit the anglers quite a bit.

My official guess is that the day 1 lead will be somewhere around ~14lbs.

Today
[Image: tsra50.png]
Scattered Thunderstorms

High: 92 °F

Tuesday
[Image: tsra40.png]
Chance Thunderstorms

High: 89 °F

[signature]