Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wobble jig mold
anyone have a wobble jig mold i could borrow this weeend so i can pour a few asst jigs..thanks todd
[signature]
i guess i will have to try to buy one thats ok now to find one.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As you probably already know, Cabelas had exclusive rights on that mold and they have discontinued it. A couple have been sold for over $100 on eBay. Just when they were becoming recognized for their effectiveness the "late bloomers" were unable to get them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure if BFTer high_n_dry still has the one listed on the 4 sale board. He found a couple and kept one for himself...listing the other one at $75.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you just want a few to paint up for yourself, I have two molds...one pristine and the other "highly modified" to put out some special goodies. I can negotiate with you for some heads already poured and trimmed...or hold the title on your car (and house) if you want to borrow one of the molds. Not interested in your firstborn. Been trying to get rid of mine for years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ya shoulda just PMed me first. You know I got the stuff and you know where I live.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i didnt want you to think that i was one of those people that allways bothers you.
thank you for the offer by the way first born just never seem to leave the nest even when they are married with kids of there own.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No problem. It bothers me when people think they are bothering me by asking for assistance. You know me well enough by now to know that I enjoy helping when I can. But I also know how to say no when someone is taking unfair advantage of my good nature.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It's a Sad commentary on today's economy...and other things...when older folks are trying to enjoy their "empty nest" years but have 3 generations living in their house instead. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I in no way would I want to take advantage of a man good nature, but would like to take advantage of your knowledge. What weight do you prefer with the wobble jigs in an ice application? With that much surface does it require you to go to a heavier jig or is that counterproductive with the wobble guys? [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I’ve been looking at the Cabela’s wobblers for a while but a lot of the reviews say the hook comes loose from the lead. Is this a problem you’ve encountered? [/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I probably use the 1/16 oz. heads most...both for open water and ice fishing. But I also use some 1/8 oz. and more rarely the 1/4 oz. It depends on depth, size and type of fish targeted, type and size of baits being used, etc. Takes some experimenting to get it right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The unique shape of the wobble head makes for a fluttering wobble on the sink and a zig zag when lifted sharply upward. They also wiggle a bit when retrieved or trolled. But the amount of the action is a matter of aquatic dynamics...similar to aeronautics...subject to lift, thrust and drag. The lighter the head in proportion to the size of the plastic and/or bait will affect the rate of fall and the amount of flutter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another desirable aspect of these heads is that they have "horizontal hold"...resting in a horizontal attitude when fished straight down...without having to mess with tricky knots. And when bounced or dragged along the bottom the upward curve of the head seems to help them glide up over snags and always keeps the hook pointed upward.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching the writeup I put together on these jigs. I help a lot of other folks learn to make their own goodies so I document everything as I am doing it. Helps when passing things along. In that PDF file there are pictures of the different options for hook to head ratios, colors, hook types, etc. I customize my molds to allow using smaller or larger hooks for each of the mold cavities. So I can rig small heads on large hooks...or smaller hooks than originally intended for ice fishing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you can see in the pictures, I have also started rigging some of the heads with tiny spinner blades...making "jingle jigs". These have accounted for a lot of fish of several species this year. And I am also wrapping some nifty marabou jigs on those wobble heads. Really helps to get a slow flutter on the drop for big trout that often "pop on the drop".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hooks coming loose? That can happen. It is usually the result of faulty hook placement in the mold prior to pouring...or shifting between placement and pouring. If the 90 degree bend of the hook is just a bit too shallow in the already thin molded lead it can be easily rotated. I slightly modify the hook eye part of the mold cavity to allow setting the hook a bit further back...and then I carefully check each completed jig for proper pouring. If the hook eye extends too far, I cut off the lead and recycle the hook. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is another factor that can loosen the hooks inside the lead. That is the reality that those thin curved jig heads are more difficult to get out of the mold after pouring than simple round heads. You have to pry them out with long-nosed pliers...holding the sprue and rocking out the new jigs. Some guys try to use the "standard" method of popping out jigs...holding the hook to pry it out. That will also loosen the hook from the lead.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]By using a pair of flat nosed pliers you can often squeeze the soft lead back tightly around the hook and you are good to go. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]It really helps to have some experience with jig making in general and working with the wobble jig mold specifically. Definitely some different techniques and considerations.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]As always you come through with all the right answers. PM sent. [/font]
[signature]
So that is where the supply of molds went !!! I went to buy one from a supplier and they were sold out, so TD and others have purchased them and are holding us hostage now !!

They are really a neat jig, especially for vertical jigging !! It is worth sitting down with TD pouring some !! I have solved the loose hook problem by putting a drop of superglue at the base of the eye and at the exit of the hook at the barb before painting. No movement after that !!!
[cool][#0000ff]Cabelas gets both the credit and the blame. Kudos to them for designing the mold and having it built by the Do-It company...but for their exclusive use. Razzies to Cabelas for quickly discontinuing it before the groundswell of angler acceptance had a chance to make it a higher demand item. Alas, poor WobbleJig...I hardly knew ye...before Cabelas buried ye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news (hopefully) is that the agreement between Cabelas and Do-It is about over and Do-It will be able to put them on the open market again. They are not in this year's catalog but are likely to be in next year's. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the meantime, I sure have gained a lot of new "friends"...who are kinda wobbly oriented.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good comment about the super glue. Some of the special fishermen's glues that are waterproof are ideal for such applications. Some problems in life are worth living with...or adapting "workarounds". Others...not so much.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The wobble jig is great way to fish so many types of fish in so many different ways .
i fish from a boat most of the time with my two kids they love to cast as dad slow trolls around the shore line they cast for every thing from slimmers to bass! on every lake from the george to deer creek .i have found many ways to fish these wobble jigs . first i put my my kids casting along the shore with what ever it is they have picked out to catch a monster [cool] . then as i slow troll around the shore line i set out a side plainer off the deep side of the boat most of the time i use a 1/4 wobble jig tip with your go bait!
as the kids are casting and catching and as the boat goes with the the shore that wobble jig covers so many different areas of the water . when we stop it falls when we turn it comes up closer to top. it just works great every time i use them like this ! i use this jig all time and would like to see one worked this way with a spiner added to the mix i am sure that would be great!!
[signature]
I have seen some of the modifications that TD has made, but I wish that you could get a bigger hook with a longer shank in the mold. I think that it would be a dynomite head for Sassy Shad and other swim type baits. The stock model puts the hook to far forward in the bait, maybe !! As I write this the thought occurs to me that I may need to modify the bait rather than the head !! Have to check it out. Anyway, the wobble action to the head will give the bait even more action !!
If there are such things as fishing saints... Tubedude is most certainly one.
[signature]
At the Sportsman's Exposition seminars, they talked about the different jig shapes and their actions. I asked if it might be effective to convert some of my ball shaped jig heads to something that would dart and wobble by striking them with a hammer. They said that does work and it's easy to experiment to get desired or even experimental actions.

Among many other things, I'm a machinist, so making custom jig molds is something I will do once I figure out if I want something custom. I bought a lot of hooks and would like making custom jigs once I find something worthy of reproducing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Eagle Claw 635 jig hooks have a slightly longer shank. But you don't really need a longer shank hook to fish shad bodies well with the wobble heads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I picked up a trick from the In Fisherman show that I now use a lot for fishing the shads...especially when using a wobble head. Instead of running the hook up out of the back, I make the hook point emerge from the SIDE of the plastic body. That makes the shad swim horizontally...like a wounded prey goodie. The tail works up and down instead of horizontally. I have found that wipers, walleyes and bass all seem to like that rigging just fine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another consideration is that unless the fish are just nipping at the tail, it doesn't matter if the hook is a bit forward in the plastic. In fact, it helps allow the rear portion to vibrate even better. And larger predators often attach lures at the front...or even just gulp the whole thing down. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is one other little modification I make in the plastic shad bodies...no matter what head I am using. I usually bite off a small section at the very tip of the plastic...so that the head fits the profile better and is not as pronounced in the overall profile. Since the wobble jig is even wider than many other jigs of equal weight, the combo of biting back the plastic and rigging it sideways can help both with the natural appearance and the creation of a wounded fluttering bait.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[left]When I am going through my pre launch routine, I have a special happy TD prayer I recite. Seems to work every time.

"fish are friends......"
[/left]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks fer the kindly words.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But I still ain't gonna adopt ya...or leave all my stuff to ya when I croak. Maybe an honorable mention.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
not to fear my do it mold rep said that they have released the cabelas wobble jig mold for direct sales at a cost of $40.95
[signature]
That is 1/2 of what I paid. I can get a second one to modify.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's good news for a lot of thingamajiggers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Feel free to bring your new mold over and I can show you some of the modifications I make to put out some different designs.[/#0000ff]
[signature]