Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunnyside/Haymeadow
Hit Hay meadow reservoir with my paid off boat at about 10am on Thursday April 18th and then first thing Friday Morning the 19th. Rainbows were hitting everything we put in water. We caught 4 about 2lbs each that we ate. We tossed back all the rest at least 50 for the 4 of us fishing over the 2 days. Weather was windy and cold on Thursday, sun burn on Friday. Most would have bee keepers if we were eating them. We tried to catch the bass but I am sure it was too cold. We camped at the campground close by. Just a side note. There are only two water faucets in the middle of the campground that are now working. The well broke sometime in the past. The dump station you can dump but the water isn't working there. The guys fixing the well said the rv dump water probably won't be fixed till next year.
Caccon
[signature]
[cool] Thanks for postin! I was just wondering; I hear people talking about that place, but where exactly is it? how far is it from Henderson? and do I need a boat? I would like to do some real trout fishing at a real lake/reservoir. [fishon] thanx for any info[fishon]
[signature]
Sunnyside is an area inside Wayne Kirch Wildlife Management area It is about 180 miles north on hwy 93 about 30 miles south of Lund Nevada. It has 4 or 5 reservoirs. I have only fished Haymeadow. They have boat docks. It is a fun little place. There is a very primitive camp ground, that has brick outhouses, a few faucets with drinkable water and a picnic table or two . There are also hot springs less than a mile away. Ely Nevada is about 60 miles north, Alamo is about 80 miles south. Lund as far as I know doesn't have any services.
Cacoon
[signature]
[quote syncityangler][cool] Thanks for postin! I was just wondering; I hear people talking about that place, but where exactly is it? how far is it from Henderson? and do I need a boat? I would like to do some real trout fishing at a real lake/reservoir. [Image: fish-on.gif] thanx for any info[Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]

Also, for the most part you can only shore fish the south end of each lake/marsh. The N/E/W sides are all marsh/willows, etc and not shore accessable. The lakes are not huge. IMO a kayak, float tube or small jon boat would be the ticket for boating. If I remember right they are all no wake lakes and some of them are electric power only. Camping is extremely primitive. You are out in the middle of nowhere. Flat, no wind protection, etc. The designated camping area is a fenced off area with the only couple of trees for miles. There is also a semi decent drive down gravel roads to get to the WKWM area. Get gas on the way there. There is several gas stations on the way. That way you have plenty to run about the lakes for a day or two and make it back to one of those gas stations on the way home. Have LOTS of bug spray... ie; mosquitos are BAD or can be depending on time of year.

At least what I remember from 3-4 years ago or so. We only fished Haymeadow and did really well. 40-50 Rainbows back then. (We didn't camp, we just did the way early and way late day drive/one day trip.) Powerbait, lures and fly fishing. Not a ton of area to fish when one is restricted to the "dam" side of each marsh. But enough area to get the job done. Been wanting to go back but in the big picture I am a little overboated for that area. I could dump in our boat if I really wanted to but on the big side verse size of lake. Plus I really have no desire to tow it down a ton of dirt roads and get all that dust all over the place. I don't have a cover for our boat and the last time there I couldn't even see out the rear window due to the amount of dirt covering the backside of my SUV from the dirt roads.

Also... There is some great trout fishing in Utah that requires one to drive less miles to get to. Bonus is that those lakes are up high 8000 foot plus and a great escape during the Vegas summer heat to retreat to [Wink]
[signature]
[cool] right on thanx for the info guys.

We have no fear of primitive camping, we actually prefer it as opposed to having facilitated camp grounds, when we go camping we bring in our own water to drink and cook with anyways, and we have our own port-a-potty complete with private utility room. besides food, that's all we really need[Wink]

seems a bit far though, maybe we'll take a weekend get away out there one day. but for now I'll just keep fishin mead and willow beach, and catchin dinky trout at the local ponds.
[signature]
I fished all of the lakes last summer and found that the biggest bass are found in Cold Springs. Last fall we caught close to 60 bass one day using hula grubs along the reeds. It's a great place to fish, but it's a long drive up there. Also during the summer I love to use a frog colored torpedo, they go crazy for it.
[signature]
i saw the biggest large mouth I have ever seen swim by our boat up in cold creek. It pushed the 10-12lb mark. there are are some big bass there if you are going for them. I love the trout though. There are some big trout in cold springs also
[signature]
Agreed, i have seen some football sized bass up these. Not a huge fan of the AC plugs but these reservoirs are great for the 7" original trout. Those big bass are feasting on the trout. Long drive but well worth it.
[signature]