Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Callville area
How about tossing me a bone...

For those that fish out of Callville or tournament fish where do you go? In general, not asking for hot spots per se (we don't tounament fish nor keep any large/small mouths, just catch/release and enjoy being away from town). We have only fished out of there twice and that was during the colder months exploring when we first got the boat over a year ago. In all reality all I know is the Echo/Overton area. With the water level going down faster than the national deficit is going up the cold reality of what is left of the Echo ramp/marina going totally away like the Overton ramp/marina did years ago is started to appear to be a reality maybe sooner than later...

Between Callville and the narrows? Do you go north through the narrows and then east to fish? If so on the later how far east? Way the heck out east? I haven't been past Temple/Burro bay so I have no idea'r what is out that way. I know there was a tournament out of Callville last Saturday and I only seen a couple tournament guys up north so there must be more than I have a clue about out of Callville that keeps people at that end of the lake. I am guessing north of Callville but from there I have zero ideas. (I am only saying that since I have never done really good way down south large and small mouth wise, good but not really good so guessing north of Callville then east.)

A PM (private message) or text or email or phone call or ??? would be great if you don't want all to see to at least point me in a general area/give me a clue verse spending the next year trying to disect a entirely, for the most part, new area plus burning more $$ in gas that I really want to in the boat.

Do you still have to do the mile walk to park at Callville or are they letting you park in the lower parking lot/new ramp when the water was high area? How about parking in the middle of the ramp going up? How busy has the Callville ramp been now that the weather is nicer? Sucks launching alone per se (one adult) and a crowd makes that all that much harder...

Thanks ahead of time!!!
[signature]
Callville can be great at times. Yes, they still make you hike it to the top parking lot. When the water drops a lot more, they will open up the new ramp down there again. It's gets crazy busy around 11am on the weekends, but that's how it goes. Usually they run golf cart shuttles down there to get you to the parking lot.

As far as fishing, you really can try a couple different areas. Go right when you are leaving Callville Bay and you can hit the whole north side heading towards Black Island and into the north side of the Wash area. If you head left out of Callville, you can head towards the narrows and fish the North Side coves, like Rotary and Hamblin Bay. Once in the Narrows, the cliffs hold lots of fish. Try inside the small coves that are in the Narrows. Wishing Well on the south side of the Narrows can be good. Once through the narrows, you have the entire North side of the lake over to Middle Point Island area that is productive. Then shoot directly south from there and fish the Gypsum Beds on the South side.

That should cover a good day launching from Callville. Just be careful going through the Narrows on a windy day. It can get real nasty coming back into the basin towards Callville.
[signature]
Thanks! Certainly a area/launch point that I am not too fond of if the weather isn't predicted to be fairly stable.

I dread that walk up the ramp (not really the walk but the time away from my stuff sitting there pier side) plus the amount of traffic but might end up being a necessary evil... A area I need to learn/know a little bit about. Plus hitting new areas is fun/rejuvenating!

I just didn't want to start from scratch...
[signature]
I never really considered or even thought about fishing anywhere in the narrows. Interesting point there.
[signature]
I disconnect my trailer up in the trailer parking area and drive my truck down... that is a mile and a half walk both back and forth.

The echo ramp will always be there. not sure if you remember they built a 2.1 million dollar ramp because of the water level. after it was finished, it was underwater. it is still there.
[signature]
Yeah, they will maintain Echo for a while. It's a good sign that they are re-doing the road down there.
[signature]
Figured that road was something funded years ago. So regardless of the marina going away or not the money had already been spent long before.

Ready for it to be done! Call me picky but I hate all the dust, dirt and rock chips that I have acquired since they started that project.
[signature]