Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions regarding an older boat
With the passing of my father in law a week ago I have found out that my wife and I may end up with his boat. Now I don't know much about it except that the motor isn't very good. It is an older fiber glass boat. When I go to look at it, what should I be looking for? What info will I need and where would I find it? What areas if any should i focus on when inspectIng it for the first time? I am a novice when it comes to these things. I hopefully will have some pics of it tomorrow. Some info from what I remember of it is when he bought it in the late 90's it was old to begin with and wouldn't get up to plane.
[signature]
the biggest thing about an older glass boat is that there is alot of wood in them.so the worry of the stringers and main beam to be rotted are there,i would check the transom,by pushing and pulling to see if there any flexing,i would also check the hull for bad repaires if any,and also look at the bottom down the center for cracks,i would also walk around in the boat,checking ever inch of the floor for soft spots,make sure you get the corners and out of the way spots.

for the boat not getting up on plane could be a number of things.
motor too small,or not running right

too much weight in front of boat,

wrong prop

motor not angled right on boat
[signature]
Thanks I will check those areas.
[signature]
Well I found out what type of boat I am dealing with. It is an old Renken. Not sure of the model type but I did get a serial number. It is approx 16 feet, hard to get into at where it is stored (in a barn) . It is rated at 80 HP and has an old Merc 650 on it (65 HP) and a small 6 hp merc kicker. Here are a couple of pics. Last time it was registered the tags expired in 2006.
[signature]
First thing that comes to mind is a motor that hasn't been in the water for 7 years. have that checked out 1st.
[signature]
In the outboard stern picture one prop is worn down bad...
See if the prop turns..I got one stored in an attic for 25 years and wuz seized but got it back, everything turns now and runs like a top!
[signature]
Thanks I will take a look at that.
[signature]
Just make sure its in neutral [laugh]
[signature]