Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locomotive springs (report)
Decided to do a little hunting up north, and on the way out we stopped by locomotive springs. The water coming out of the spring at the north end of the east pond must be pretty limited, as most of the pond was iced over. I've never seen the north end covered with ice before....not sure if they will plant it this year or not. The west pond had a little more open water, but not much. We did catch a couple carp out of the west pond. I was really disappointed in the ice cap out there, as it's always been a fun place to take the family for some guaranteed trout action. Don't know if that will happen this year. Does anyone know if the scheduled plantings will still take place?

The day wasn't a total loss, we did manage to find a few chukars, here's a pic of some we brought home.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Killerbee, it's been some years since I was out that way but I don't remember there being any place close to Locomotive springs to hunt chuckers. Did you get them around Golden Spike? They are some good looking birds, did you get into a big covey? WH2
[signature]
We were up by Snowville when we got into the chukars. It was surprising to find them where we did, I never would have guessed chukars to be in the area we found them. We were actually up there looking for some huns, but we found 2 coveys of about 20 birds. The first covey jumped close, so we got in some good shots, but the second covey jumped at about 40 yards, so the shots weren't as nice.
[signature]
It sure is nice when you find those chuckers out in the open and not on those steep hillsides. Was there snow out there, I'm guessing there was, that is the only time I've found chuckers that arn't in the hills. You guys did good to get a limit of birds, did you jump any Huns? WH2
[signature]
There was only about 1/2 inch of snow, it was all melted by noon.

We didn't see a single hun, but sure can't complain, I love eating chukar. In my opinion, it's the best wild game animal around....never tried wild turkey though.
[signature]