Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubin' Trio in Arizona
[cool]

[size 2][font "Times New Roman"]It has been too many years since I got to fish with my son Steve (TubeN2). And, I had never been fishing with my 15 year old grandson, Sean (TubeNtoo). The game plan was for their whole family to spend several days with us for Thanksgiving…to include some fishing, of course. [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]First, my daughter and her family had to cancel their trip from Sandy. Then, at the last minute, Steve’s wife and daughter had to cancel their trip, because of work conflicts. I suspect that they were bumped to accommodate the tubes and fishing gear. The guys arrived in a full car Tuesday.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Troopers that we males of the family are, we decided to make the best of it. Of course, we invited TubeBabe along as an assistant photographer. Wednesday found myself, TubeBabe, TubeN2 and “Toobie” at Saguaro Lake a little before 7 AM. The air temp was a below normal 34 degrees, but no wind. Water temps ranged from 44 degrees in the shallows out to 66 degrees in the fishing zone.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]TubeBabe scored first, with a feisty leaping ll inch largie…at about 745. A few minutes later, I felt the solid thump and heavy surge of a chunky channel cat munching my Roadrunner jig. On 4 pound line, I needed about fifteen minutes to bring in the fish, which later measured out at 27 inches and weighed 7.2 pounds. (Pic included)[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]I thought it was going to be a gangbuster day. But, like so many days that start out good , that was the last fish any of us caught. We covered a lot of water and fished every lure in our combined arsenals, to get only a few more light taps.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]We posed for some pics and were off the water before noon, and the air temp had risen to almost 70…although the water hadn’t changed…still 66. Notice the green leaves on the trees in the park area. Dined regally on milk and cookies before heading home.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Filleted the “guest of honor”, cut it into “finger strips” and deep-fried it into “kitty krispies”. The 2 ½ pounds of fillets from the fish stuffed the four of us the night before T-Day.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]I believe in heredity. As soon as we got home from fishing or shopping, my son and grandson headed out to fish one of the trout lakes stocked for the winter in Phoenix. They couldn’t get enough fishing in. And, they showed the locals how to exercise those little hatchery pets pretty good.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Had a good-sized gathering with other members of the family on Thanksgiving and tried out my new turkey fryer. The bird turned out great and we didn’t have to have the fire department join us for dinner. Life is good. After dinner, the boys headed for some trout molesting again.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Friday we decided to try an afternoon tubing assault on Saguaro...thinking that maybe the water would warm a little and the fishies might be more cooperative. No luck. A cool offshore breeze was blowing when we got there and only got worse through the afternoon. Instead of being warmer, the water temp had dropped two degrees…to 64.6 at the warmest. [/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]We all had several light inquirers, but I brought in the only fish of the day…a 14” bluegill. Actually it was more like 6”, but when I laid it on my marked apron, the head was on the 14” mark. (See the pic)[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Headed home into a classic Arizona sunset. I stopped a couple of times to burn a pic. The bright colors kept constantly changing and it lasted the full 35 minutes of the final trip home.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]My tubin’ progeny headed home Saturday morning, even more loaded up than they arrived. My “tackletorium” is now lighter by several rods and reels, a bunch of fishing books and magazines, some BFT shirts, hats and stickers…and of course a goodly quantity of TubeDude’s jigs.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]We have all decided that our next fishing get together will not be so delayed as this one was. Really makes you realize what is truly important in life…and thankful all year for your family…and all that it means. Even though all of us deal daily with our own “demons” and distractions, in the final analysis if you have family and friends that care about you, you have it all.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[signature]
I'm sure it isn't quite the way you planned it in your dreams ahead of time (fish catching wise) but you don't need to catch lots of fish to have fond family memories (although it sure doesn't hurt). Pat, glad you could get out with at least part of your family.
[signature]
thanks for the story pat. the pics of saguaro remind me of the lake and want me to go to arizona quickly again. i love that lake even if the fishing is slow something about the scenery that makes it all worth while.
[signature]
Talk about the three stooges! Nice pics TubeDude. Sure glad you guys could get out for some 3 generation fishin'. Looks like you put on a little tubin' clinic for the boys though[Wink]
[signature]
Nice Cat, TD! Looks like you guys all had a good time, and did some good family bonding as well. I've got baby #1 on the way (well my wife does). It's gonna be a girl, so she's gonna be my little tomboy/fishin' buddy. Can't wait to create similar memories with my family. Next saturday I'm taking my dad in law ice fishing for his first time at Scofield. Should be a hoot.
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Never too early to start planning. And, girls make good fishing buddies. My daughter Kim was in between her two brothers in age and if she wanted quality time with dad, she came on our fishing trips...along with some daddy-daughter outings. [/size]

[size 2]Kim still enjoys fishing, but has three of her own to watch...boy, girl, boy...just like our family. Her interested in fishing seemed to wane a bit when she discovered boys, dressing up and the mall. But, we still have some great stories we bring up everytime we get together. Those things will never die.[/size]

[size 2]The one word of advice I offer to all parents or older folks who take kids fishing: MAKE THE TRIP ABOUT THEM, AND NOT ABOUT YOU. Don't blast them out of bed too early and don't stay beyond their attention span. Try to help them catch fish and learn. That's the way to cultivate fishing buddies...boys or girls.[/size]

[size 2]At some point, you will be sitting in the car...motor running...almost totally dark out on the water...and you will hear "Just one more cast, Dad." Then it becomes a question of who is whose fishing buddy.[/size]
[signature]
Looks like a really good time was had by all! Good pics too!
[signature]
Great picts. TD. it seems alittle warmer down there than here in Utah. You cant beat a fishing trip like that. 3 generations of fishermen. I bet you had a blast.
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey, PK, it is a little warmer down here, but you wouldn't see any bikinis tubin down the Salt River these days. Arizona wimps put on heavy coats when the temps drop below 70.[/size]

[size 2]Truth to tell, I would really like to get in some hard water fishing. It's been awhile since I exercised my auger muscles and pulled fishies out of a hole in the ice.[/size]
[signature]
Great story TD! Thanks for sharing the pics and the experiences. Sounds like despite the setbacks Thanksgiving was a success anyway. I still haven't been out fishing since Sept., but I think this Saturday I'm going to go grab my little brother who's my "fishin buddy" and see if we can't coax some white bass at Utah Lake to bite our line. I'll finally be able to try out the bait bugs you sent me. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Kevin
[signature]
Hey guys, there is nothing like a little catfish and turkey bonding session.
[signature]
Hey Catman, I think you will really like the baitbugs. I'm getting ready to break some in here in CA. [cool] Try and keep your line wet if you can.
[signature]
I think I will too. I've got lots a testin to do. I'm going to tip them with a piece of crawler. Saturday I went out to check on things and I met a guy that had a stringer full of good sized white bass just casting a 1/4 ounce orange jig into what little open water there was. Hopefully I can do as well or better.
[signature]
Awesome report and story TD and family. Glad you all were able to get together and spend some quality time on the water.
[signature]
Hey there OEJ, Any of you Utah boys want to come to CA just let me know. We'll get you hooked up with some good fishing action here in SoCal.[Wink]
[signature]