Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scholfield Holiday Fishing
Took the nephew fishing at Scholfield for a few hours on Friday. There were a lot of people on the lake. There was 5 - 6 inches of ice....4 inches in some places. The fishing was good, but most of the fish were small. Rat finkies were the ticket for us. We were fishing in about 14 feet of water. The fish were hitting right off the bottom and 2 - 5 feet below the ice. The bigger fish were coming in at both depths. In total, we caught 12 fish in about 3 hours of fishing. The nephew had a really good time. Pictures to follow.....
[signature]
FUN! FUN! FUN! I guess the reports of open water were wrong.
[signature]
Not too bad for a few hours of fishing. Did you guys tip the rat finkies with a worm, waxies, or mealies? Good luck next time you head out.
[signature]
We also hit Scholfield on saterday. We had a heck of time getting there. First I had to work until noon. Got home and gathered the gear and headed out. Thought I would bye gas at the station on-top of soldier summit for the ice auger because I dont like to mix the oil with the oxygenated crap here in Utah county. Well there out of business. So we have no gas for the auger. And I know the store in scholfield is closed for the winter so I ended up going all the way to Helper to bye a gallon of gas.

Finally made to the lake around 3:30 and we fished untill dark. Met up with fishfindR and his kids and had a great time. Our report is much the same as every-one elses other than running all over eastern utah to find a gallon of gas. we were fishing in 8-10 ft of water on the south-east side of the lake. Rat finkies tipped with a meally was the ticket right off the bottom. Ice I felt was extremly safe there were even a few snomowbiles and 4wheelers out there.

Good-times
kokanee
[signature]
My son and I fished Scofield today from 8:00 to about 1:00. Found it a little slower than yesterday, but it was a great day. Still caught about 30 fish, but it took till 1:00 instead of 11:00. We didn't catch that many small planters. Most were easily over 12" with many 14"+. We used small ice jigs tipped with meal worms, and were in 8-10 feet of water. Bite was consistent until the sun hit the water. (yesterday was cloudy most all day) Then it was sporadic until we left at 1:00. We were on the east side where all the vehicles park on the "beach". (hope that makes sense) Most folks who are there earlier say the earlier the better so next Saturday we are going to try to be there at first light.
[signature]
We couldn't find any meal or wax worms, so we had to settle for night crawlers. We got on the lake at around 2:00 and left around 4:30. I let the nephew talk me into keeping part of our limits this time (the first trip where I haven't made him let them all go). He helped clean and eat them which is a good lesson in itself. Overall it was a good day.
[signature]
Nice fish but the kid looks a little cold! How was the weather!
[signature]
Man, too much fun. Seems that you had a great weekend of fishing. I got all my ice fishing stuff down this weekend, need to get some new blades for the auger. and I will be ready to go
[signature]