Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington 11-28-03 Great Tigers
The tiger fishing at Hunington is hot! My family and I arrived at 8:00AM and fished until 1:00PM we caught and released over 30 tigers. They did not seem to be very selective but I did best fishing with a 1/64 ice fly on 4lb. test line. I used no flasher or extra weight. They were hitting it on the drop. It is really important to use line that is light enough to allow the jig to work naturally. As the jig drops watch very carefully. If the line stops falling too soon set the hook. I caught fish after fish just watching the line for any unusual movement on the drop. I used mealworms and nightcrawlers it did not seem to matter what the flavor was. Get away from everybody at the dam and fish towards the middle. The biggest tiger we caught was 16" and the smallest 10" they averaged around 13." I took my small grill out on the ice and had an amazing lunch. We cooked three tigers, two had orange meat and the other one had white meat. Does anyone know why the difference in meat color? The orange ones were the best. Good Luck Everyone!
[signature]
Sounds like a great day at Huntington. Congrats on the fish catching. I assume that the meat color is strictly related to what the fish eat. A diet rich in crustaceans (shrimp/scuds) will turn the meat pink. Just a little FYI tidbit, flamingos are pink because of thier diet is nearly 100% shrimp! Take away the shrimp, and you get a whitish/grey colored flamingo. Doesn't make a very nice lawn ornamanet.....[Wink]
[signature]
We fished Huntington on Friday also. Three of us fished on the south side about 100 feet out from the dam in 18 feet of water. We used 1 1/2" tube jigs in pearl and glow in the dark tiped with night crawlers or meal worms. The meal worms were very hot. The bite was veryt light and you had to pay close attention. We each had dozens of bites but were only able to land 23 (1) 17" cut and the rest were 12" to 17" tigers, the largest was a 17" female.

We took home 6 that are in the smoker now. Most of the males appeared to have a deformed lower jaw that we didn't notice last year. The lower jaw was a little shorter that the upper and very wide like a shovel. Also the are the slimiest fish I have ever cleaned.

fdg
[signature]
How thick is the ice?
[signature]
You know why flamingos stand on one leg don't you? Because if they pick both legs up they fall down! Sorry -- I couldn't resist.
[signature]
Ha ha.....[Wink] Thanks for the sense of humor!
[signature]