Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I go to catch some stripers on Willow beach?
Hey guys, my name is Frank & I'm new to the forum here.. I've been browsing as a guest for some time and I see pictures of everyone catching these huge stripers and I'm just wondering where I can go to catch one.

I just got a 12ft boat and put a 5hp outboard on it so I've been going out to willow beach to try my luck and nothing yet.. I've been out about 6 times all on the weekend and haven't even seen a fish. We don't go down to far, last time we were fishing in between mm50 &51.. and we've been going about noon to 6:30ish. I have a bunch of trout and shad imitation swim baits and plugs ranging in sizes from 3" to 12".

Where can I go or what can I do to catch a striper? I wouldn't even mind a 2 or 3 pound striper. Should I be going out earlier in the morning? Later in the evening? Our even over night or further down the river? With my boat I'm not to comfortable worth being out at night on the river with it yet so I'd be shore fishing.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks! Smile
[signature]
Thats a tough one, Willow Beach can be a mean mistress. Only times Iv caught anything down there I was going with a trophy fisherman that targets big stripers down there. Try bomber long A's. I have learned a bunch from BFT forums, just scan through. Also Allan's forums have a lot of info for willow. acplugs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2. Most of all you have to put in a lot of time, cast a bunch, and wear your lucky underwear!
[signature]
Thanks! Yea I think I'm going to have to suck it up and try my patience with going out there. I lurk acplugs.com website as well and lots of good info there as well. My fiance keeps pushing me to go down further to in between mm44 to 47 but I just get weary going out that far with my boat. i want to try during the week as well when it's a less busy and maybe a bit earlier in the morning and later into the night. Weekends there's always boats and jet skis flying around all day.
[signature]
The only suggest that I have is start earlier in the morning, at grey light. Or later in at night around 5pm.
[signature]
I fish willow a lot and my advice is go as early as you feel comfortable and troll and cast every where especially where you wouldn't think a big striper would be. I personally use A.C. plugs 12'' original and minnow versions and the fatty versions. You need to put in time and try to learn something every time. I rarely fish any farther than mm 48 and have got a lot of fish within site of the marina. The striper are on and most often off. they see boats and lures a lot especially the last few years... I find very slow presentation works pretty well for me anyway. I also like fishing the winter a lot more.

Hope this helps. good luck
[signature]
Its always hit or miss for me down there. The first 6 or 7 times i fished it I caught at least one per trip...then went 10 trips with nothing but a buzz. Ive caught the most around MM49 but the biggest was all the way down at MM46. They are there, just have to find them. One thing to consider, ambush points. A lot of open and dead water there. Look for areas where the stripers can ambush the trout or other fish. Use your graph and when you run the shoreline try to stay in areas where shallow water (10-20 ft) drops into 30+ ft. Tend to do well in those transition areas. If your going at night, hit it at 6 or 7 and fish up to about 11pm. bite dies after that. Then picks back up around 3 or 4 am and will be good for a while. If you see trout...fish that area...they are there, just lurking in the shadows.
[signature]
From the dam to Mojave
[signature]
Yup, haha.

TOW= Time On Water

I've only caught one down there, in the two years I've been going down there. 12 trips without a fish in as many months. She's a good girl, you'll have to spend a good amount of quality time with her before she'll give it up.

Good luck. [fishon]
[signature]
Aint hat the truth Erawk. Then you hear sum guy... oh its my first time fishing the river and I got this 30lbr... makes me insane!!!
[signature]
Alan Coe just caught 3 over 20 lbs down by 54
[signature]
Are you on spearboard?
[signature]
Thanks guys.. that's just what I was Looking for.. I need to get me some of those ac plugs to try out.. I'm going to try and go out a lot earlier than I have been going.
[signature]
Before gray light is the best or after sunset
[signature]
David Allen Coe? Haha, I've sung this a few times down on Willow.
[signature]
BTW, thanks for becoming a member and welcome aboard!
[signature]