Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Circle hooks?
The title says it all. What do you think about fishing with circle hooks? Especially catfishing.
[signature]
Circle hooks have their place, they are great for bait fishing, especially if you plan on releasing the fish.
[signature]
I agree they have their place, but they take a bit of getting used to. I haven't fished them for freshwater fish but have for Tarpon and the hookset is slow and on a 2 or 3 count as opposed to "setting the hook". I lost a couple fish I probably would have had on conventional hooks but they do keep fish mortality way down.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I use them to tie flies. I love them. Granted I can only tie certain flies on them, but my choice for my Carp flies. Also Octopus Circle hooks ( only difference is at the eye)

Also used in Tenkara Flies.
[signature]
I don't target cats but I think these hooks would be great.
Work killer on LM

[Image: IMG_0788_zps0fbfa080.jpg]

They catch just enough lip

[Image: d4c792e9-20b5-4b34-ba11-9db2bb8912fa_zps5eaa9ce7.jpg]
[signature]
Circle hooks can be effective in a multitude of settings, but you have to adjust your tactics accordingly. Like previously mentioned, if you set the hook when using circle hooks, 7 out of 10 times you'll miss the fish. What you're going is jerking the hook clean out of his mouth.

I actually use circle hooks offshore in the salt, and also for catfishing tournaments. We wait until the rod doubles over, and before we take it out of the rod holder, we give it a few good cranks.

The SAFMC actually passed a Regulation requiring circle hooks offshore in the ocean when using natural bait. I don't necessarily agree with this ruling, but the fact circle hooks undeniably help prevent gut hooked fish is hard to contest with. My argument in this situation is, if you bring up a short grouper or snapper, it's not going to make it back to the bottom half the time anyhow before a king or a shark gets a hold of it. But, this logic doesn't apply to catfishing.

I think circle hooks pose a distinct advantage when catfishing if you are fishing from a boat or other means that allow the use of rod holders. I think if you're stuck hanging on to your rod, circle hooks are a bad idea. Not only are you subject to the "impulse" hook set, but not having a firm means to make your rod stationary really prevents the hook from doing it's intended job, which is lodging the the fishes jaw. With a circle hook, the fish actually does most of the setting going against the pressure. That's the beauty of it.
[signature]